New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They could add a BWRAF checklist as well for the new divers.

Speculation, but a company's approach says something about what they think of their perceived customer base.

One must consider the limitations set by Apple as the primary party that put these limits not Oceanic.

One must consider the limitations set by Apple as the primary party that put these limits not Oceanic.
True. Not sure who made the decision regarding the depth limitation. It could be Oceanic, it could also be Apple. Apple does have the ability to restrict certain features to developers, as we saw with the depth sensor only being open to Oceanic initially (probably still).

It could also be possible that Apple has restricted access to depth sensor values beyond a certain point, which seems to be 144'. If that is the case, then Oceanic's approach makes sense, as they would only know that the depth limit was breached and for how long. They wouldn't know if it was 145' or 200', which would have significantly different deco obligations.

Apart from a hardware limitation, the in-water lockout makes no sense to me from a liability perspective. The post dive lockout does make some sense, even though I'm not a fan of it myself. I could see the in-water lockout being a source for additional liability as this isn't something that is typically done. I've heard of it being done by Suunto in the past, but I'm not familiar with any other current DC doing in-water lockout.

True. Not sure who made the decision regarding the depth limitation. It could be Oceanic, it could also be Apple. Apple does have the ability to restrict certain features to developers, as we saw with the depth sensor only being open to Oceanic initially (probably still).

It could also be possible that Apple has restricted access to depth sensor values beyond a certain point, which seems to be 144'. If that is the case, then Oceanic's approach makes sense, as they would only know that the depth limit was breached and for how long. They wouldn't know if it was 145' or 200', which would have significantly different deco obligations.

Apart from a hardware limitation, the in-water lockout makes no sense to me from a liability perspective. The post dive lockout does make some sense, even though I'm not a fan of it myself. I could see the in-water lockout being a source for additional liability as this isn't something that is typically done. I've heard of it being done by Suunto in the past, but I'm not familiar with any other current DC doing in-water lockout.
It would not shock me if across the board you start seeing computers require you to acknowledge you are hitting a certain depth, your feeling fit. Shifting the liabilities to the consumer.

The Verge's short review of Oceanic+

Interesting. Appears to contain balanced feedback. Their concern was battery life. They think it is good for 3 dives...

It would be useful to get more information regarding this. Seems a lunch time charge on a LOB would be required?

I wrote an app to export dive data from the Apple Watch Ultra into a UDDF XML file so it can be imported into Subsurface or any other dive log application that supports UDDF.

Interesting. Appears to contain balanced feedback. Their concern was battery life. They think it is good for 3 dives...

It would be useful to get more information regarding this. Seems a lunch time charge on a LOB would be required?
My experience is that dives made little difference to battery use. Only a handful of dives, but I am confident it will last all day on a four or five dive day,

It would not shock me if across the board you start seeing computers require you to acknowledge you are hitting a certain depth, your feeling fit. Shifting the liabilities to the consumer.
Is liability a big concern for DC manufacturers? Somehow I don't think so.

I was using the Depth app at the time, but I was able to do 4 dives a day ranging from a minimum of 45 minutes up to 65 minutes per dive and I had at least 30% battery left when I put the Watch on the charger when I was going to bed each night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom