New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went for a quick shallow dive this morning with the Ultra. Depth app works fine of course although I was surprised to find that it only saves your ‘last dive’ and that each ‘dive’ is reset when you surface. I was only in 2 - 5m and it seemed to reset a lot as I cruised high over rocks. Good for free diving I suppose. Depth app won’t start if you have a workout activity in progress either but the watch still tracks the accumulated dive times towards your exercise and move total. I wore mine as normal, not over the wetsuit arm as the strap is not long enough to do this. Maybe that’s why I accumulated kJ burn. I wanted to try the compass and waypoint tracking too but ran out of time.

8A6ADF5F-315B-4965-A199-62BC7F83F456.jpeg

Went for a quick shallow dive this morning with the Ultra. Depth app works fine of course although I was surprised to find that it only saves your ‘last dive’ and that each ‘dive’ is reset when you surface. I was only in 2 - 5m and it seemed to reset a lot as I cruised high over rocks. Good for free diving I suppose. Depth app won’t start if you have a workout activity in progress either but the watch still tracks the accumulated dive times towards your exercise and move total. I wore mine as normal, not over the wetsuit arm as the strap is not long enough to do this. Maybe that’s why I accumulated kJ burn. I wanted to try the compass and waypoint tracking too but ran out of time.

View attachment 746408
To clarify: do you need to manually invoke the depth app before you plunge? I wonder if the Oceanic dive app will turn on automatically?.

A recent thread bitched about crappy dive computers that required manual intervention before the start of the dive.

To clarify: do you need to manually invoke the depth app before you plunge? I wonder if the Oceanic dive app will turn on automatically?.

It is a setting: it can either be launched automatically as soon as the Watch goes underwater, or manually only.

I had 6 dives with the Ultra along with my Teric last weekend in Cozumel. Good to see that the Apple Watch ultra and my Teric registered the same info:
  • same depth (apple watch rounds up to the nearest ft while Teric goes 1 digit after the decimal point)
  • same dive time (+/- 1 sec with auto activation)
  • 1 Celsius degree difference for water temperature (Teric is consistently 1 degree higher; both fully exposed)

No AI & many features behind an annual fee paywall.
Taako,

Before you thumbs down a factual post, you should conduct some research. Oceanic+ has 8 features behind a paywall, and several of the features "included" are limted such as a dive log that only holds 12 dives. There is no AI capability nor is there free diving mode. All free for all to read on Oceanic website. I do expect a free dive feature on a future release or another 3rd party app for that.
Screenshot_2022-10-07-13-03-59-12_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Screenshot_2022-10-07-13-03-59-12_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

I suspect Taako was thumbs-downing Oceanic rather than your post. I have to say I did not know anything about Oceanic prior to the watch announcement but my impression of them so far is that they are greedy.

they are greedy.

I am not so sure, one must take into consideration that the deal is with Apple and Apple sets the rules and terms. If anyone that can be thought of as greedy, Apple is the first suspect not Oceanic. We don't know the terms and conditions set by Apple for Oceanic but I am sure that it isn't soft or easy.

I am not so sure, one must take into consideration that the deal is with Apple and Apple sets the rules and terms. If anyone that can be thought of as greedy, Apple is the first suspect not Oceanic. We don't know the terms and conditions set by Apple for Oceanic but I am sure that it isn't soft or easy.

I want to agree with you but Huish is no angel either. Probably the worst of both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom