New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got mine today. Of course the Onceaic+ app is not yet available but the depth and temperature "Dive" app does work.
I do like it so far as a replacement for my existing apple watch 6. The UI is fluid as usual and definitely much better than any Garmin watches I used. I don;t think this is a replacement for a high end DC but I would buy this over Garmin Descent Mk II. I will definitely dive with this on my left wrist and Teric on the right next week in Coz. lol

Got mine today. Of course the Onceaic+ app is not yet available but the depth and temperature "Dive" app does work.
I do like it so far as a replacement for my existing apple watch 6. The UI is fluid as usual and definitely much better than any Garmin watches I used. I don;t think this is a replacement for a high end DC but I would buy this over Garmin Descent Mk II. I will definitely dive with this on my left wrist and Teric on the right next week in Coz. lol
Good luck, please report back!

A Garmin mk II is a high-end DC that just doesn't stop at only being a DC...

My friend just picked up one of these today too. Curious to see how it looks in person.

But I don’t think it will surpass, at least the first few generations, a dedicated DC.
And don’t think anyone else thinks that - you included given your message above.
For my personal purposes 40m is not enough but I will investigate whether that is a genuine restriction.

You can see from sales and talk here about computers that the people doing the buying want features such as trimix, CCR and 100m plus depth limits despite very few people ever using these features. Almost everyone will be fine with a single gas computer that can only go to 40m. The main differentiator has actually been the screens, but multigas, trimix etc have followed along to make the whole package seem more valuable. Would anyone pay Teric money for a single gas computer, even if they know they will never be doing accelerated deco?

So, for this majority real world user group, this first version will do all the dive computer stuff they will ever need.

As for surpassing the current computers, an obvious first feature is there being a phone in it - i doubt it will work in lots of places but it is another tool. There are a load of other fun things I can imagine given the sensors it has.

I suppose what matters is whether the scuba features are marketing to push the “hardcore user” image or a serious feature.

I could easily do an ascent from 130 ft at 60 ft/min on a 3 cu ft Spare Air, what's the problem?
For me, not a 3 but for sure a 6cf and a safety stop. been there tried that.

pictures or it didn’t happen 😝

67CE55E9-F3DF-4587-BFC7-E3B8E0C00107.jpeg

Just got mine yesterday. I'm taking it on a couple of very shallow dives this weekend in the Niagara area. I'll try to get a pic of it next to my perdix to see how the displays compare.

My first disappointment is that today is a shore dive that I have GPS coordinates for, but my buddy and I haven't yet been to. I thought, "Aha, I can use the watch's GPS to swim out to the wreck!" But no. You can't pre-program a point of interest using latitude / longitude. If Apple doesn't add the feature soon, I'll add it myself.

There has been some recent research at the University of Washington about underwater communication (Underwater Messaging Using Mobile Devices) which they have working using Android smart watches. I'd love to port this to Apple Watch, but there's never enough time. If someone is working on this, I would help.

I thought something similar might be possible to triangulate position from buoys that emit sound. Combine the two and you could have a buddy finder on your wrist. I dive in the cold dark lakes of Canada, and often visibility is < 10', so this could be useful.

I'm looking forward to hacking around with it, whether it's a good dive computer or not. As a developer, having something like this that I can program myself opens a world of possibilities.

Try the hiking app Gaia Gps. You can plug in waypoints. That's what I use on my Iphone and it installed on my watch yesterday when I set it up. Hoping it works as expected. Haven't had a chance to try it though.

Reactions: vam
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom