New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had some minor issues with my Apple Watch. One exercise app disappeared and I still have no idea where it went - left me and my husband scratching my head. Needed to restart on two different occasions bc it froze. Maybe it’s just too old? But those issues would be bigger issues on a dive watch. For me, I’d use it as a backup and for the novelty. And since I don’t have $800 hanging around for ‘novelty’ I’ll wait to see how others do with the Ultra.
Agreed. Trying to turn a general purpose compute platform into a special purpose dive computer is a foolish idea.

If you read the fine print people will likely be getting surprises regarding waterproofing and battery life.

As per the ISO rating the 100m rating does NOT mean it is good to 100m. It means it is good for swimming and snorkeling. Hence the warning not to exceed 40 meters and that it's water resistance will diminish over time. The Garmin thing IS waterproof to 100m.

The quoted 36 hour battery life includes only 90 minute app use and a 60 minute workout. With the dive app running full time, battery life will can be expected to be much shorter. Maybe significantly?

This appears to be a marketing exercise aimed at the gullible?

Did they say if the Oceanic+ app will be free?
I think there will be strong competition in a few months, with several apps targeting different divers: free divers, holiday divers, tech divers, etc.
Developing apps in the Apple ecosysten is simple and cheap, so I expect many developers will try to get their share of the market...

I think there will be strong competition in a few months, with several apps targeting different divers: free divers, holiday divers, tech divers, etc.
Developing apps in the Apple ecosysten is simple and cheap, so I expect many developers will try to get their share of the market...
I would be surprised if any quality products appeared from out of the woods.

Dive computer software development is an extremely small niche application. There are very few people skilled in the art. Based on the number of current dive computer manufactures, I would guess likely less than 100 people worldwide.

Made a quick video on it (Meaning cut out all the other bs from the event)

Good Luck using this on a dry suit....

Trying to understand where this will fit into the recreational dive market, I'm reminded Apple is mainly marketing a high end smart watch and diving is one added feature amongst many.

If someone is going to get an Apple watch anyway, then the added cost to level up to the one that can act as a dive computer may make more sense.

Which raises the question of who it competes with. Do we take the premium paid over a regular Apple Watch, and compare it to mid.-range dive computers that cost what the premium adds? Or do we compare it to dive computers that cost what the Ultra itself does?

Will it compete mainly with an Oceanic Geo 4.0 (about $420 on Amazon), or a Shearwater Teric (about $1,150 on Amazon without transmitter)? The Shearwater Peregrine is $510 on Amazon. Well, the Apple Watch Ultra is around $800; I take it that's about a $400 premium.

Even then, it's an Apples (yeah, had to go there) to oranges comparison. The Apple Watch platform may offer us different ap. options, vs. the single option you get with a dedicated dive computer. I don't like that 'water resistance may fade over time' bit, so if you don't plan on upgrading your watch every few years, the dive computer route sounds better.

But...you can either get an Apple Watch series 8 (non-Ultra) and a Shearwater Peregrine or Oceanic Worldwide Geo 4.0, before sales tax, for around $910 or $820...or...you can get a $800 Apple Watch Ultra plus the cost of an Oceanic subscription or single purchase ap. if offered.

I have more faith in the Geo 4.0 or Peregrine to last for many years. You could argue the Apple Watch user will upgrade to newer models every 3 to 4 years, more often than a dive computer owner, but if he has to pay an extra $400 every time to get one that works as a dive computer, he'll pay a lot more money.

Plus, with the dedicated dive computer route, you have the option to upgrade to an A.I. model (e.g.: Teric); at least for now, the Apple option is not A.I. And different models let you choose built-in rechargeable vs. user replaceable disposable batteries (e.g.: Teric vs. Perdix A.I.). Shearwater has a strong reputation for customer support for divers; I can't imagine Apple will match that. If anything, they're known for charging quite a bit for extended service plans, and their attitude toward refusing service on some smokers' devices (old 2009 article) didn't inspire confidence (I don't like smoking, but what a load of crap!).

Plus the Oceanic and Shearwater lines are well-established with strong track records; the Apple Watch Ultra is a 1st generation (as a dive computer) new product that has a concerning depth limit (probably not an issue for the recreational diver, but I like my product water proof well past the depths I dive).

I'm still plugging along with an old Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 and Oceanic Worldwide VT3. If I were buying today, I'd be looking at a Shearwater Perdix A.I. or Teric (already got a compatible transmitter).

Trying to understand where this will fit into the recreational dive market, I'm reminded Apple is mainly marketing a high end smart watch and diving is one added feature amongst many.

If someone is going to get an Apple watch anyway, then the added cost to level up to the one that can act as a dive computer may make more sense.

Which raises the question of who it competes with. Do we take the premium paid over a regular Apple Watch, and compare it to mid.-range dive computers that cost what the premium adds? Or do we compare it to dive computers that cost what the Ultra itself does?

Will it compete mainly with an Oceanic Geo 4.0 (about $420 on Amazon), or a Shearwater Teric (about $1,150 on Amazon without transmitter)? The Shearwater Peregrine is $510 on Amazon. Well, the Apple Watch Ultra is around $800; I take it that's about a $400 premium.

Even then, it's an Apples (yeah, had to go there) to oranges comparison. The Apple Watch platform may offer us different ap. options, vs. the single option you get with a dedicated dive computer. I don't like that 'water resistance may fade over time' bit, so if you don't plan on upgrading your watch every few years, the dive computer route sounds better.

But...you can either get an Apple Watch series 8 (non-Ultra) and a Shearwater Peregrine or Oceanic Worldwide Geo 4.0, before sales tax, for around $910 or $820...or...you can get a $800 Apple Watch Ultra plus the cost of an Oceanic subscription or single purchase ap. if offered.

I have more faith in the Geo 4.0 or Peregrine to last for many years. You could argue the Apple Watch user will upgrade to newer models every 3 to 4 years, more often than a dive computer owner, but if he has to pay an extra $400 every time to get one that works as a dive computer, he'll pay a lot more money.

Plus, with the dedicated dive computer route, you have the option to upgrade to an A.I. model (e.g.: Teric); at least for now, the Apple option is not A.I. And different models let you choose built-in rechargeable vs. user replaceable disposable batteries (e.g.: Teric vs. Perdix A.I.). Shearwater has a strong reputation for customer support for divers; I can't imagine Apple will match that. If anything, they're known for charging quite a bit for extended service plans, and their attitude toward refusing service on some smokers' devices (old 2009 article) didn't inspire confidence (I don't like smoking, but what a load of crap!).

Plus the Oceanic and Shearwater lines are well-established with strong track records; the Apple Watch Ultra is a 1st generation (as a dive computer) new product that has a concerning depth limit (probably not an issue for the recreational diver, but I like my product water proof well past the depths I dive).

I'm still plugging along with an old Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 and Oceanic Worldwide VT3. If I were buying today, I'd be looking at a Shearwater Perdix A.I. or Teric (already got a compatible transmitter).
Apple is a known name integrated into a good majority of the global communities lives. A reputation for reliability and quality products. It has gps, compass, and most everyone knows how to use it. Walk into the typical dive shop and ask a shopper if they ever heard of Apple or Shearwater…

I dive a perdix 2 and don’t plan on changing that, but Apple typically disrupts industries. Good for everyone, companies are going to up their games.

I don’t think anyone is going to buy the AW Ultra because they want a dive computer. They’ll buy it because they want a smart watch and are fitness/outdoor enthusiasts (or want to appear as such). At that point, if their activities include diving, they may as well give it a shot as dive computer instead renting one or buying a low end Suunto.

One question not sure if it has been answered yet......

Will the apple dive watch only be sold thru existing apple retailers?
Or will dive shops also have to sell iPhones in order to sell apple dive watches?
Cutting out the dive shop will really crimp the new product's sales.

One question not sure if it has been answered yet......

Will the apple dive watch only be sold thru existing apple retailers?
Or will dive shops also have to sell iPhones in order to sell apple dive watches?
Cutting out the dive shop will really crimp the new product's sales.
You gotta be kidding. Apple have a big enough channel such that not having the 12 or 15 remaining dive shops in the US won't impact sales performance. Their target market is NOT divers. Only us on SB are debating this. No one is buying this primarily as a dive computer. But those who buy them will have an easier path to trying SCUBA.

Someone mentioned previously that they wouldn't buy this because it did not display GF99. I would guess that over 99.9999% of future purchasers have no idea what means nor should have to care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom