New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or convince Shearwater to make an AI Peregrine. That I'd buy. I have a Perdix which I use strictly recreationally but am looking for my wife's next computer.

I am pretty confident that Shearwater is going to maintain their stance of "if you want AI, buy a Perdix AI." I really do not think they will add AI to the Peregrine.

So on their website Oceanic has more info.

Their "premium" version that acts as a dive computer will require a subscription - "Purchase a single subscription or a Family Share subscription for up to five people on your Apple Family Share plan"

Looks like they have also got an iPhone version of the app to use in one of those smartphone case things.

Unintended post

So who wants to go on CNBC's show "Shark Tank" and develop a 'fig-newton' sized silicone wireless battery pack that incorporates a screen bumper? Mark Cuban scuba dive's cause I've seen him at the dock in Florida with his gear. We need prototype money !!!

battpak.jpg

I wonder if the app will be an addition fee. I dont see why another developer could not develop an app for it as well, say shearwater

Any developer should be able to access watch features to develop for with the SDK. Oceanic is just the one they partnered with for official support. I'm sure more will come in the future.

The mention of any sort of AI is all that's missing for me to be 100% interested. Would be easy enough how devices can be paired with Apple Watch itself for other industries and activities.

exactly. i dont think apple will restrict others to access the depth sensor. I am ok with 1 time purchase but f-off subscriptions.

Subscriptions are interesting. As a consumer I hate them, as a developer I also get/understand them. Ideally anything that has ongoing costs isn't part of the core app and there is a super stripped down version that is one time cost with no subscriptions. You want feature X, which has a recurring cost to the developer to keep alive, then pay up on a subscription. New major feature is introduced, new version of the app that is a separate purchase (if not using a subscription), maybe do 2 year chunks. Bugs of course should be fixed regardless, but otherwise think its entirely reasonable that without a subscription you are "feature locked" to what was there when you purchased.

Subscriptions are interesting. As a consumer I hate them, as a developer I also get/understand them. Ideally anything that has ongoing costs isn't part of the core app and there is a super stripped down version that is one time cost with no subscriptions. You want feature X, which has a recurring cost to the developer to keep alive, then pay up on a subscription. New major feature is introduced, new version of the app that is a separate purchase (if not using a subscription), maybe do 2 year chunks. Bugs of course should be fixed regardless, but otherwise think its entirely reasonable that without a subscription you are "feature locked" to what was there when you purchased.
Yeah, I am actually glad to see a subscription in there. Apple has conditioned people that apps should be basically free, and good software is not free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom