New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apple oracle can do no wrong?

Remember the Newton or the eMate or eWorld? Of course not . . .

The Apple Watch hasn’t failed, has it?

What percentage of DC's do you suppose are now purchased through "local shops and retailers"? I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess that the majority are purchased online anyway.
Online are retailers. I think a diver who has an Apple Watch especially a new diver would feel comfortable and confident going with what they know. An opportunity to upgrade current platform and add a dive computer as needed.

To be fair, the AW Ultra/Oceanic+ dive computer will be all the vast majority of people need. All you really need in a dive computer is dive time, depth, NDL or deco time, and the ability to use nitrox. Max depth and water temp are nice.

I'm a reasonably serious, aggressive, mostly no stop/recreational diver. Only the less than 2% of dives over 130 feet or the less that 1% over 140 feet would result in depth warning or lock out. I don't think any of my light deco dives have been below 130 ft. I would hope it would give me avg depth so that I could calculate my RMV if I wanted

Will I buy this watch, no. However, I do not use a fitness/smart watch and have plenty of computers for my diving. Others have different needs.

The Apple oracle can do no wrong?

Remember the Newton or the eMate or eWorld? Of course not . . .

Yeah, I read that article!

It was in the same journal as a review of all of Babe Ruth's strikeouts...

:D

The Apple Watch hasn’t failed, has it?
The watch hardware hasn't -- no, not yet; but one hundred bucks says that there will be serial lawsuits associated with the dive computer function, inside of a year -- whether from Apple just being a wide-arsed target; user error; issues with the software; depth sensors; flooding; sometimes hinky battery life in colder water -- any number of things that serve to plague electronics in saltwater.

I've already had serial issues with Oceanic products years ago, back when you could get them on the phone in San Leandro; will never use them again.

Below is a shot of one of my dedicated computers with its warm and fuzzy slew of warnings, each time that it is activated. I can only hope that something similar is already in the works, in Cupertino, and just as easily readable on a dinky iWatch screen . . .

Attachments

• 6FA70CB7-E5EB-4A5F-8649-546FE792D108.jpeg
    6FA70CB7-E5EB-4A5F-8649-546FE792D108.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 31
This is the "I am cold, so you should put on a sweater" argument.

...I've already had serial issues with Oceanic products years ago, back when you could get them on the phone in San Leandro; will never use them again...
There you go then.

I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 for more than 12 years with 1806 dives and 1903 hours on it. I bought my Teric in May 2019 and have sent it in for repair once (black screen) and for replacement 4 times (2 antenna, 2 battery). My battery is bad again and I will soon be sending it in again for repair or replacement. I have never owned anything Apple

There you go then.

I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 for more than 12 years with 1806 dives and 1903 hours on it. I bought my Teric in May 2019 and have sent it in for repair once (black screen) and for replacement 4 times (2 antenna, 2 battery). My battery is bad again and I will soon be sending it in again for repair or replacement. I have never owned anything Apple

Damn I'm lucky. I've had an Oceanic Atom 3.0 for many years and never one problem. I got a Perdix AI when it was released and also never a problem. The Atom I now use for my volunteer aquarium gig, where the environment is extremely harsh on gear. After almost 200 dives with it, still not one issue. Also pretty much the same for all the Apple devices I've had for the past 22 years.

Damn I'm lucky. I've had an Oceanic Atom 3.0 for many years and never one problem. I got a Perdix AI when it was released and also never a problem. The Atom I now use for my volunteer aquarium gig, where the environment is extremely harsh on gear. After almost 200 dives with it, still not one issue. Also pretty much the same for all the Apple devices I've had for the past 22 years.
From what I understand, the Teric is an outlier in the Shearwater group, I'm not alone

All my Oceanic computers have been rock solid, my family has 6.

There you go then.

I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 for more than 12 years with 1806 dives and 1903 hours on it.
That was already disclosed earlier on this thread and others -- three failures of the Datamax Pro, among the earliest air-integrated computers -- and a fourth which refused to boot-up in a local dive store, the last attributed to faulty batteries; the failures in the water, do to cheap-o o-rings and flooding.

I was actually blamed for the flooding for not disassembling the new, off the shelf computers, and checking the o-ring placements and battery compartments, one whose original boot involved Greco-Roman wrestling to remove -- and I am not a delicate flower. I managed a full twenty minutes on one, at thirty meters; the other two, less than that, even after the o-rings were replaced by a tech, who also swore at the boot.

Ironically, I dropped them for SeaQuest / Suunto in 1992-3 -- and apparently managed to be an statistical outlier who never had any issues with them, AI or otherwise, and whose depth sensors all jibed, over thousands of dives . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom