New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! Interesting. I wonder how the sound would be if you just played it on the watch speaker? I mean, maybe not audiophile quality, but enough for an audiobook while on deco, right? Sound travels well in water, right?

Maybe some sort of whale song ID program..! See, once the tech is there, people come up with all sorts of applications...
Some summer days I come home somewhat overheated from working 10 hours outside here in the Mojave. I often grab a cylinder and a half dozen pounds on a weight belt around my chest and hang out on the bottom of my pool for some time. Watching the sky overhead as bubbles rise and distort the surface is quite relaxing.

But back to the point: Took my phone down with me in a Trident dry bag type case. I had downloaded a number of shows on the Netflix app since at even a few feet there was no cellular or wifi connectivity. I found that I could hear the audio of the shows when the phone was only held at arms length from me. However, much further than that and it faded to being inaudible very quickly. The dialogue could be understood but was quickly drowned out by the sound of inhaling and exhaling on the regulator. My solution was to turn on the closed captioning. Worked like a charm.

What didn’t work was the touch screen on the phone either in or out of the case. While the phone is rated to 6 meters for 30 minutes I didn’t want to take chances, despite being at only 5’, given the cost of the device and I’ve often stayed in for 2+ hour stints hence putting it in the bag.

The dialogue could be understood but was quickly drowned out by the sound of inhaling and exhaling on the regulator. My solution was to turn on the closed captioning. Worked like a charm.

That's one solution. Another approach would be to get a rebreather...

:D

Thanks! Interesting. I wonder how the sound would be if you just played it on the watch speaker? I mean, maybe not audiophile quality, but enough for an audiobook while on deco, right? Sound travels well in water, right?

Maybe some sort of whale song ID program..! See, once the tech is there, people come up with all sorts of applications...
great - now we can be annoyed by more than just beeping dive computers underwater!

great - now we can be annoyed by more than just beeping dive computers underwater!

Just wait until we are stuck at the 30 foot stop for 20 minutes and I won't stop watching "Family Guy" reels...

I just don’t see an app on the new iWatch driving new people into scuba in any significant way - I don’t think that was the big hurdle to folks taking up diving?

I just don’t see an app on the new iWatch driving new people into scuba in any significant way - I don’t think that was the big hurdle to folks taking up diving?

I see your point but I'm honestly not sure. I'm a horrible prognosticator. I have worked in tech my entire 30+ year career. You'd think I'd be better at prognosticating the impact of new technology. I'm not. I'm just soaking in the various opinions and plan to just watch and see what happens.

"watch" LOL .... no pun intended.

I think that it's a numbers thing. We tend to forget how small a community scuba divers actually are.

46 million Apple watches sold in 2021, and that has been growing every year. If a tenth of one percent of those people saw the Apple ads with divers and gave scuba a try, that would be a BIG deal for our sport and our industry.

I think that it's a numbers thing. We tend to forget how small a community scuba divers actually are.

46 million Apple watches sold in 2021, and that has been growing every year. If a tenth of one percent of those people saw the Apple ads with divers and gave scuba a try, that would be a BIG deal for our sport and our industry.
Could be, I suppose - we’ll see!

Not counting dive buddies or friends we met diving, how many people do you know that actually dive? Normally when the subject is brought up it's "oh, that's interesting. Isn't it XXXX?". Only on a few occasions can I recall someone saying they used to dive. More often it's somewhere along the lines of water and sharks are scary or I've always wanted to.

That's almost certainly not true. Yes, we can transmit data through the water but at a very slow rate. Enough for your pressure transmitter to communicate a number every few seconds, but not nearly enough to reach the megabit or so needed to provide decent audio quality.
Codecs have advanced enough that a typical streaming radio site uses a 64 kbps rate (yes, 64 kilobits per second). So you could do it on a fairly low bandwidth connection. Not that it wouldn't be technically challenging.

I don't believe that's true. Apple has guideline about quality of the code that they accept and you aren't allowed to bypass their payment scheme for subscriptions, but I'm not aware of anything they have rejected because it competes with their own apps. You can download Chrome pr DuckDuckGo bypassing their default search engine. And they get a payout from Google to make that the default search in the stock web browser. That payment dwarfs any revenue they will ever see from the Oceanic subscription model.
I don't think that is quite true. They won't allow Firefox and Chrome to use their own browser engines, and for a while was reserving access to the best Javascript implementation for Safari. They haven't made it impossible, but they haven't made it easy. And they have absolutely prevented compatibility with iMessage, FaceTime, etc. Now third-party apps without a direct Apple competitor they have been pretty laissez faire, it is true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom