New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And integrate more features or AI. Is virgin territory
How? The existing transmitters work at about 40 kHz to get the range they do. Bluetooth, Wifi, and cell connections are all in the GHz region and those are the radios this device has (plus they are likely switched off when the device detects it is submerged). No way to add AI unless Apple decides to develop future versions of the watch with this in mind.

Nothing is stopping Oceanic to implement AI.
Maybe they can use the microphone to pick up ultrasound, in which case they could do something like the Garmin transmitters. Otherwise, unless there's an LF antenna and receiver in there (which I'm pretty sure there isn't), I don't see how they could implement AI with any current transmitter technology.

Edit: Ninja'd by @vondo :D

Obviously the cost of the apps is a factor but you theoretically could have this watch and select the app to match anyone your diving withs computer. They have a Zoom you run the Suunto app, as long as the manufactures who have the propriety algorithms develop an app. The Idea of a subsurface app is so cool.

The bigger question have is how could a dive computer be improved with the addition of a heart rate monitor, and an O2 monitor? Can N be measured in blood with the device? While depth over time certainly works can computer make for safer dives with the addition of these other biometric inputs?
This is a very interesting point of view.
Looking forward, a DC which takes in to account Body temp, O2, pressure, heart, and who knows mixed with Diving algorithms, and why not a AI (Artificial intelligence) , all together can bring an unparalleled dive experience.

How? The existing transmitters work at about 40 kHz to get the range they do. Bluetooth, Wifi, and cell connections are all in the GHz region and those are the radios this device has (plus they are likely switched off when the device detects it is submerged). No way to add AI unless Apple decides to develop future versions of the watch with this in mind.
I don’t know if the switch off, but they can use:
- Wifi
- Speakers and mic and use sound as a long range (1-2mts) data channel. Special mood required. But I really like your point of view.
- Mermaid songs

I will be trilled so see something unexpected that delivers AI in this very first model.

This is a very interesting point of view.
Looking forward, a DC which takes in to account Body temp, O2, pressure, heart, and who knows mixed with Diving algorithms, and why not a AI (Artificial intelligence) , all together can bring an unparalleled dive experience.
My Perdix 2 and Teric do everything I need in a dive computer and all from a company that is focused on and has a LONG history/understanding of diving. They also have phenomenal customer service and you can actually speak to a human - good luck with any of that from Apple or Huish (not impressed with support from either of them in my past dealings).

So… no interest from me as I also don’t use a fitness tracker (I just use my scale/mirror and how I feel after a workout/activity), but I wish them luck for those that want an all-in-one solution.

My Perdix 2 and Teric do everything I need in a dive computer and all from a company that is focused on and has a LONG history/understanding of diving. They also have phenomenal customer service and you can actually speak to a human - good luck with any of that from Apple or Huish (not impressed with support from either of them in my past dealings).

So… no interest from me as I also don’t use a fitness tracker (I just use my scale/mirror and how I feel after a workout/activity), but I wish them luck for those that want an all-in-one solution.
You can talk to a person at Apple or even have them work on your product in person at any store. I dive shearwater as well, but this is a big deal for the diving world.

In my point of view Perdix, Teric care a beast and leading the market no doubt about this.

Is just the new kid on the block, we need to see it in action and in the long run. Normally it took years on the making, but nothing comparable with the power of thousands of people and tens of thousands of diving hours to tell the true. I still remember when Petrel and later Teric were released the excepticism of the market, and look now.

Time will decide.

In any case there’s a need in the market for not only one purpose use device, Teric opened the path, I’m exited to see what’s next.

I will say, my biggest concern about this is Oceanic. My first two dive computers were Oceanic and while the computers were mostly solid, the OceanLog software you used to download and record your dives was an absolute POS. I'm so glad I finally found MacDive. So no way, even if I was considering this watch, would I jump in the water with this and some Oceanic software during the first year of its existence.
I’ve heard that about OceanLog. Curious, though. You mention MacDive, which is for Mac only. When I got my VT4.1, the software for Windows was indeed OceanLog, however for Mac, DiverLog+ was recommended. That program wasn’t absolute trash.

You can talk to a person at Apple or even have them work on your product in person at any store. I dive shearwater as well, but this is a big deal for the diving world.
Yeah, I can still recall the denizens of the "Genius Bar" gathered around my then-new laptop, after the disc drive went tits-up, after six weeks.

Looked like a sad hipster take on the hominids around the monolith in 2001 -- and just about as productive . . .

Lol… the “genius” kids at the Apple store? You cannot talk to the actual manufacturer or project engineer like you can at Shearwater - sorry, but not even remotely on the same level at Apple or at Huish.

Back
Top Bottom