New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno, if you are locked out of everything but the DC during the dive, why bother with that function all? Just take your DC diving and wear your watch on the surface. People buying this product aren't doing it so that they save money by not having to buy a DC.
Because you are diving. Being able to switch to Instagram during a dive would be a poor choice by the designers. It wouldn't even work, as there is no signal getting to the watch.
I might want to look at a dive site map during a dive. Some people like to listen to music, and I can imagine some sort of waterproof bone transmission earphone device for that. Fish ID encyclopedia. Compass. Measuring software for surveys. Augmented reality for navigation. etc...
Music might make sense, but there's a physics problem to get past. Range of bluetooth underwater is a few inches. Fish ID encyclopedia would be tough to use underwater. Lots of scrolling. Best to take a picture and ID it during the surface interval.

Compass does make sense. I would imagine that would be incorporated into the dive app. Switching out of the dive app, into another app during a dive can be dangerous and sounds like a big liability issue.

I don't think this device is targeted at survey crews. It's targeted at recreational divers.
Just like the iPhone, there are probably all sorts of applications that people will want once they start using it.
Sure, but as you shouldn't be checking social media while driving, you shouldn't be accessing non diving apps on a dive computer during the dive.
My current DC lets me look at different screens and they don't all show deco information. True, a standalone unit is less likely to lock up than a mult-process OS, but it's not unthinkable.
So do mine. However, those other screens are related to diving. That's different. Accessing compass functions, or other information screens should absolutely be permitted. Accessing other unrelated apps, and switching modes should not. At least not during the dive.

Because you are diving. Being able to switch to Instagram during a dive would be a poor choice by the designers. It wouldn't even work, as there is no signal getting to the watch.

Wasn't talking about Instagram. I mentioned a number of other possible applications. Instagram is a straw man argument.

Music might make sense, but there's a physics problem to get past. Range of bluetooth underwater is a few inches.

Who said anything about bluetooth? How do you think your WAI dive computer gets tank pressure data?

Fish ID encyclopedia would be tough to use underwater. Lots of scrolling. Best to take a picture and ID it during the surface interval.

Yeah. That would be much better than having a fish ID app during the dive. LOL.

Compass does make sense. I would imagine that would be incorporated into the dive app. Switching out of the dive app, into another app during a dive can be dangerous and sounds like a big liability issue.

What do you think happens with a dedicated dive computer that switches to compass mode? My NERD does that, and so does my controller.

I don't think this device is targeted at survey crews. It's targeted at recreational divers.

So because marketing didn't write up a proposal for this particular application for version 1.0, it couldn't be used for that? The think about the smartphone is that there are a billion apps, and very few of them were envisioned in 2007.

Sure, but as you shouldn't be checking social media while driving, you shouldn't be accessing non diving apps on a dive computer during the dive.

Says who? The scuba police? Can I still rip out a porthole during a dive?

My DSLR requires a LOT more mental energy to use than a scrabble app, and I use that during every dive. Is that OK?

So do mine. However, those other screens are related to diving. That's different. Accessing compass functions, or other information screens should absolutely be permitted. Accessing other unrelated apps, and switching modes should not. At least not during the dive.

I disagree.

I mean, I randomly listed a few things that a general purpose dive computer could be used for during a dive. So if you have specific problems with each of them, that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the concept of having a computer with you on your wrist during a dive is a non-starter.

I only rec dive and often refer to my compass. Not sure how or why you think that it isn't in use by non commercial divers. Low vis Puget Sound often needs a heading to go/return of doing anything other than following a line or series of objects.

Agreed that screens and radios consume power. So do cpu's. It will be interesting to discover what the real life cpu load and hence battery drain will be.

My phone and laptop can both drain their battery in under an hour when number crunching. I have no idea what the dive app cpu load on this watch will be. But I would not dismiss it out of hand until more information is available.
The calculations needed for a dive computer are minuscule compared to the calculations needed for, say, displaying a text message on a modern device. Even if they weren't, they don't have to be done continuously. The device can calculate the current tissue loading based on stored history. Calculating during your SI is not going to impact the battery life of this device in the slightest.

Well, the Apple Watch Ultra is around $800; I take it that's about a $400 premium.
No. The closest comparison is to a stainless steel Apple Watch 8 with cellular connection. $700 to $750 depending on the size. So this thing is really a $50 premium.

As they were describing this watch I was expecting the price to be $1100-$1200 considering that the previous generation did come in a titanium version, smaller screen, etc and was already $800 if I recall.

I will say, my biggest concern about this is Oceanic. My first two dive computers were Oceanic and while the computers were mostly solid, the OceanLog software you used to download and record your dives was an absolute POS. I'm so glad I finally found MacDive. So no way, even if I was considering this watch, would I jump in the water with this and some Oceanic software during the first year of its existence.

After see the Keynote and the oceanic resources, FAQ and tutorials:

Apple Watch Ultra is a box like the iPhone was, a box with sensors, connectivity and a display. The app developers will get access to the Apple Watch resources and then you have an App using the watch capabilities.

Nothing is stopping Oceanic to implement AI.
Nothing stops Suunto, Garmin, Mares or
Shearwater to name some of them to develop an app use a pay once for every upgrade, subscription model or free and compete using the same hardware, different Diving Algorithms will be available, different user interfaces. Easy to choose what you like.

Imagine 1$ per day/week/weekend model. You can use the app for free but if you want to dive, you need to help developers paying for that.

A box of resources available for any developer who is capable to proof experience in devices EN13319 certified.

I will guess that for the upcoming months Oceanic will be alone in the market, since seems that was a partnership between the two companies and they will enjoy a gratitude time to take off with the app before competition can access to the Apple Watch Ultra resources.

This will change the way we approach to a DC, same Hardware, different Algorithms and user experience.

Thinking about Inclusion and diversity and specifically related with generational differences. Is our job to keep an open mind to realize that evolution is here to change the present. Is not how old we are, is more about, what we can bring to the table.

This is Good for all the DC manufactures, also good for Apple.

Wasn't talking about Instagram. I mentioned a number of other possible applications. Instagram is a straw man argument.
The original post where I mentioned "colossal failure" referred to switching to social media. Instagram fits that definition.
Who said anything about bluetooth? How do you think your WAI dive computer gets tank pressure data?
Can you point me to any headphones that use a transmission protocol compatible with underwater use?
Yeah. That would be much better than having a fish ID app during the dive. LOL.
It might, otherwise you are scrolling through thousands of fish, on a wheel. I don't think that would be appropriate during a dive. But, I guess you can if you want. Need to load the full database prior to the dive, though.
What do you think happens with a dedicated dive computer that switches to compass mode? My NERD does that, and so does my controller.
I have no problem whatsoever with switching to compass. Navigation is an important part of diving.

For the other options you mentioned. I can see a need for some of them, but I don't see Apple going down that path. So, some may be valid, but it's probably moot at this point. Maybe an option for Oceanic++ down the road to incorporate those niche features, but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon unless there is strong enough demand.

Again, I used the term colossal failure in response to the poster referencing switching to social media, which is useless during a dive. I see no problem with switching through screens that are diving related during a dive. As the primary function of the AW Ultra during a dive is dive computer function, that shouldn't be pushed to the background or shut off entirely during the dive.

I only rec dive and often refer to my compass. Not sure how or why you think that it isn't in use by non commercial divers. Low vis Puget Sound often needs a heading to go/return of doing anything other than following a line or series of objects.
No problem whatsoever with switching to a compass. I was referring to underwater mapping and measurement apps. Compass should be a screen in the Oceanic+ app that can be cycled to during the dive.

I wonder if the app will be an addition fee. I dont see why another developer could not develop an app for it as well, say shearwater
And integrate more features or AI. Is virgin territory

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom