New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also thinking: it cannot be fiddly or accidentally switch modes. I hope the apple watch goes into "dummy proof mode" when it's in the water doing the dive app. It can't have switched to an Instagram notification screen because I accidentally bumped the side button. So it's more of a "logger" (like the health app) rather than a dive computer.

In the keynote demo, it shows a full screen red alert of "ascension too fast" covering all the guage info for a few seconds. That seems like a nono to me.

I'm guessing there will be some idiot who tries checking their social media while underwater and runs low on air and Darwin Award themselves.

Well, what's stopping Suunto creating an app for it? Or Aqualung? It's potentially a multi-model, multi-OS dive computer!
Not likely to happen.

1.) Other companies likely don't want to fascillitate sales of a competitor.

2.) Competing on interface alone using the same hardware isn't their usual market.

3.) Other companies likely want/need to sell hardware. IIRC, this is part of why Apple never ported their Mac OS to Windows computers, and for most of their history weren't friendly to Mac 'clones.'

4.) Apple takes a sizable cut of the profits from ap. store purchases, and right now, I imagine that's about the only way most people can get one.

5.) Very small niche market.

6.) The brand ap.s or 3rd party dive ap. programs we're used to tend to be electronic logbooks that download info. from the dive computer (e.g.: MacDive), and maybe let you adjust some settings. I don't anticipate MacDive or DiveLog rushing out a full on dive computer interface ap.

It's interesting that Oceanic has opted for a grossly over-priced subscription model. Is it necessary to make this small niche worth their time? Do they want to make it expensive enough not to cannibalize sales of their own hardware? Or think Apple customers are used to paying big premiums? Or a result of anticipating no competition on this platform?

I'm guessing there will be some idiot who tries checking their social media while underwater and runs low on air and Darwin Award themselves.

One of the reasons I don't do long deco is that I get REALLY bored. My brain has been rewired to pick up my phone and scroll at ANY downtime (elevators, bathrooms, etc..). Being alone with my thoughts for an hour? That's a hard no.

I know that people have brought reading material or even magnetic chess sets to pass the time on deco. I can imagine using it for that (watching a video or something, probably not something interactive like social media). I know that there are iPhone cases that have been pitched for that purpose.

One of the reasons I don't do long deco is that I get REALLY bored. My brain has been rewired to pick up my phone and scroll at ANY downtime (elevators, bathrooms, etc..). Being alone with my thoughts for an hour? That's a hard no.

I know that people have brought reading material or even magnetic chess sets to pass the time on deco. I can imagine using it for that (watching a video or something, probably not something interactive like social media). I know that there are iPhone cases that have been pitched for that purpose.
Mike, now you can watch movies/play games on your new watch!

Mike, now you can watch movies/play games on your new watch!

On the other hand, I sometimes DO have an electronic toy to entertain myself with during deco:

I'm also thinking: it cannot be fiddly or accidentally switch modes. I hope the apple watch goes into "dummy proof mode" when it's in the water doing the dive app. It can't have switched to an Instagram notification screen because I accidentally bumped the side button. So it's more of a "logger" (like the health app) rather than a dive computer.
I would be absolutely shocked if you could change modes during the dive. That would be a colossal failure.
In the keynote demo, it shows a full screen red alert of "ascension too fast" covering all the guage info for a few seconds. That seems like a nono to me.
As long as you can acknowledge the alert, and revert to displaying the other information, this shouldn't be a problem.
As I mentioned above. This would be a colossal failure if that were able to happen. This isn't the first smart watch that also has dive computer functions. I'm wearing another example on my wrist at the moment. When I start a dive and actually descend enough for it to count, I am locked out of the other apps. I can change screens to the different dive screens I have configured, but I can't switch to Kayaking or something else. And on those other screens, NDL Time, Depth, and Dive Time are always displayed. When I ascend to the surface, I can either wait through the end dive delay, or manually stop the dive, but I can't do that at depth.

I really don't this is something that will even be possible for a user.

I would be absolutely shocked if you could change modes during the dive. That would be a colossal failure.

As I mentioned above. This would be a colossal failure if that were able to happen.

I dunno, if you are locked out of everything but the DC during the dive, why bother with that function all? Just take your DC diving and wear your watch on the surface. People buying this product aren't doing it so that they save money by not having to buy a DC.

I might want to look at a dive site map during a dive. Some people like to listen to music, and I can imagine some sort of waterproof bone transmission earphone device for that. Fish ID encyclopedia. Compass. Measuring software for surveys. Augmented reality for navigation. etc...

Just like the iPhone, there are probably all sorts of applications that people will want once they start using it.

My current DC lets me look at different screens and they don't all show deco information. True, a standalone unit is less likely to lock up than a mult-process OS, but it's not unthinkable.

And in the worst case scenario, you lose your DC. Hardly a colossal failure. In that rare circumstance, if you are doing a rec dive, you ascend. If you are doing a dive with a deco obligation, you have your slate with your plan (probably not a lot of tech divers going to be using this).

Maybe an option that you have to actively deselect to allow multiple functions underwater?

some sort of waterproof bone transmission . . .
Just about the most unappealing phrase that I've ever heard . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom