NEW AIRPLANE WRECK EXPLORED LIS (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squalus357

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
WHEELS UP 2018! DIVE 147: We are starting off 2018 with something completely different. NOAA had these numbers plotted as an airplane. We thought it would be something worth investigating. So we did! Cool wreck, not so cool viz, but hey the viz is what it is.

Thanks, all the stats are at the first part of all the videos in the lower left hand corner. It was 63fsw.

About to go sailing in the western LIS yesterday.
Dropped a pair of pricey vice grips over the sides whilst tuning my rig (not scuba, mast and shrouds) at my mooring.
Was about to don a mask to dive down and retrieve.
Then I looked at how brown and murky the water was. Forget it.
Oh, well... next time I stick with harbor freight tools for the boat.
Liked the video though!

^^ Here we have a nominee for what could be the most irrelevant thread hijack in the history of ScubaBoard.

LOL... not intended!
I've jumped in on squalus's threads before because I'm fascinated by divers who dive in my area. It's something I've never done, nor really want to do as my love of diving is warm, tropical waters with perty reefs and fishies.
That said, I've sailed Long Island sound most of my life and am fascinated by it... above, below, the water, the land and the wind. It saddens me that during the warmer months the water becomes so murky from brown tide and other ecological problems.

Actually I don't think of @hammet post as a hijack at all. I would love to dive the airplane in the video, but the silting is a genuine concern, and Hammet is right to back away from those conditions if he chooses. My thought from seeing the silting in the video, and Hammet's post about not being able to find lost objects due to silting hazards, is that it would be good to find a way to avoid silting for future divers of the airplane. The video author said the silt was a couple feet deep. What would it take to place a secure, permanent anchor with a submerged float, so that divers could connect to a permanent anchor, higher in the water column, without disturbing the silt before they even get down to the wreck? Would it be possible or worth it in this case, @squalus357 ? Future dives could then have a better chance of discovering clues to the airplanes origins, and solve the mystery.

The control panel to fold wings makes me think it may be a US Navy carrier plane.

Possibly a Grumman test plane.

Could it be this plane? One was lost in Long Island sound, supposedly near Smithtown Bay.

Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Actually I don't think of @hammet post as a hijack at all. I would love to dive the airplane in the video, but the silting is a genuine concern, and Hammet is right to back away from those conditions if he chooses. My thought from seeing the silting in the video, and Hammet's post about not being able to find lost objects due to silting hazards, is that it would be good to find a way to avoid silting for future divers of the airplane. The video author said the silt was a couple feet deep. What would it take to place a secure, permanent anchor with a submerged float, so that divers could connect to a permanent anchor, higher in the water column, without disturbing the silt before they even get down to the wreck? Would it be possible or worth it in this case, @squalus357 ? Future dives could then have a better chance of discovering clues to the airplanes origins, and solve the mystery.
The control panel to fold wings makes me think it may be a US Navy carrier plane.

Possibly a Grumman test plane.

Could it be this plane? One was lost in Long Island sound, supposedly near Smithtown Bay.

Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket
This is pretty close to Smithtown.

Some sites are def not for everyone. When you place moorings and other permanent objects you open a world of issues with personal liabilities. The best way to deal with the silt issue is approaching from the appropriate direction ie into the current. This isn't always an option when dealing with low vis and placement of the drop in point. This site is 2-3 feet viz at best, regardless of the silt. grappling and descending directly into entanglement hazards, such as nets, face first would be ill advised. Approaching from the outside perimeter has proven somewhat successful for coming back and retrieving our anchor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom