New 4-5 mm wetsuit Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was using a new BARE 4 - 5 mm full suit his weekend and notced a problem with Buoyance comtrol. For the most part, we were shallow, 25 feet or less. A dive platform was submerged at about 14 feet.

Here is the problem. After adjusting surface weighting to a rough amount (20 lbs) I found that at 12 feet and above, my buoyance was fine. At 25 feet my buoyance was fine. But while trying to swim at a uniform depth of about 14 feet (the platform depth) I had to really work on breathing and even then it was very difficult. It was as if the suit compessed at about that depth and became supersensitive to small differences in depth.

Other information. There was a thermocline at 14 feet as well. The water temp dropped from around 84 degrees to 70 degrees.

Thanks,

Stan

even if your suit suddenly compresses at some point that doesn't mean it compresses you. Seems more likely you were stressed by the temperature change.

I do a lot of volunteer diving in less than 30 feet of water wearing a 5/4 mm here at Aquarena Springs. Most of it is task-oriented (cleaning algae, etc.). Buoyancy control in that first 30 feet is the trickiest, and a thick wetsuit makes it trickier than normal. It does take a lot of breathing control; in fact, it is more your lungs than the wetsuit that is "supersensitive" to small changes in depth. However, the good news is you will get used to it after repeated dives and eventually find it to be no problem at all, provided you maintain the same weight/neoprene configuration.

Ed

Damselfish:
even if your suit suddenly compresses at some point that doesn't mean it compresses you. Seems more likely you were stressed by the temperature change.
I'd have to go with Damselfish on this one also. My guess is that you might have been subconsciously holding your breath more (breathing shallower) because of the thermocline's sharp contrast in temperatures at your 14ft depth. Even though you might have been breathing more/faster that does not mean that you are actually still breathing as deeply and regularly as you did at 12ft or 25ft. I've dived 5mill suits for all of my diving career and I add another 5mm shorty with a hood over my full suit when in colder waters, and I have never experienced anything that I could attribute to my suit that affected my buoyancy. But then, that doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't happen I guess :D
:coffee:

I just bought a 5/4 Bear from ScubToys and used it in the Quarry on the 4th. Having used only a 3mil in the past, the 5/4 felt quite bouyant. It took the fourth dive before I was comfortable. I overcompensated on the weight for what I felt would be sufficient for the additional buoyancy. It took several dives, dropping weight each time until I was in control again.

We dove shallow, pretty much the same pattern you did.

Compared to my old suit (1995 and purchased 2nd hand back then), the Bare is a nice suit.

As an aside, I didn't know that neoprene shrinks with age. I tried on the old suit the evening before a dive and it would not even zip up the back. Missed the dive of course.

Skipp:
I didn't know that neoprene shrinks with age. I tried on the old suit the evening before a dive and it would not even zip up the back. Missed the dive of course.

Hmmm yes, I've kinda noticed that too with mine. I'm starting to think it's shoddy materials or something. I should perhaps consider contacting Scuba Pro for an in depth explanation as to why their suit is shrinking :D :biggrimja

Hey, I have the same problem with old tuxedos, the damn things just shrink. Also, the 'new sizes' just aren't the same.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom