New 119 on the way!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I just got confirmation of my order from ScubaToys (they Rock!) on a new HP 119. Same size as my LP95's but 25% more air. Got a SCREAMING deal, too.

So, my LDS tells me "Those HP tanks are a pain to fill, and are going to cost you more for me to fill". Now, I like the LDS well enough, they do Stick-blended nitrox, which is nice, but I'll be darned if I'm paying $15 for an air fill from them. So, my plan is to just get them all filled to 3000 cold (which they routinely do for my 95's). This will still give me my Comfort zone for those air sippers on the Gulf Coast (you know who you are :D ). If I'm doing a deep Nitrox dive, I'll bump the 119 up to full capacity for the first dive, and the 95's to 3000 for the second dive. Hell, they can take all week to fill them. I'm in no hurry.

Heck, if I can figure out the calculations, I'll get it filled with EANx to 3k, and then get it topped off with air to get me an acceptible mix for my depth.

Since there aren't that many shops left in New Orleans, let alone with a stick, I think I know the LDS you are talking about. How is it a pain? Did he tell you? Doesn't make sense to charge more; maybe they need to pay for the new place??...

P_Abercrombie:
Since there aren't that many shops left in New Orleans, let alone with a stick, I think I know the LDS you are talking about. How is it a pain? Did he tell you? Doesn't make sense to charge more; maybe they need to pay for the new place??...

It was the one who doesn't actually do the fills. I think she was trying to talk me into purchasing the 2 95's she had just gotten in. I was thinking about it, trying to be supportive, and all, but they 1) didn't have convertible valves (that would be extra), and 2) they wouldn't come off the price, or throw in any extras (well VIP and 1st fill, whoop te-doo). I picked up the 119 with the convertible valve for the same price she was asking for the 95. Oh, well. I guess I'll get the stink-eye when I bring it in for a fill.

Why not a 130 since it is only 1 lb heavier and 1.5" taller and only $70 more than a 119?

RocketMan:
Why not a 130 since it is only 1 lb heavier and 1.5" taller and only $70 more than a 119?

Well, I have 2 LP95's and I kind of like their characteristics, height-wise. Besides. 130ft3 of gas is crazy big! It'd probably cost me helium prices to get it filled at my LDS! Not even mat could outlast me on the Paddlewheeler.:D

P_Abercrombie:

It was a "pain" because Paul didn't buy the tank from them.

This sounds like standard LDS whine that they didn't get the sale on something because they weren't cost competitive. They are most likely to whine themselves out of business eventually.

mike_s:
It was a "pain" because Paul didn't buy the tank from them.
Actually, it's a "pain" because it kills the pressure in the storage banks, which makes it harder to fill other cylinders to their rated pressure. So you wind up having to run the compressor more often, which increases wear and tear, forces you to replace filters more often, etc.

It's simple economics - air fills are a "loss leader" in most shops, and high volume, high pressure fills represent a small fraction of the total number of fills they do. Therefore it only makes sense that they should pass the increased operating costs along to the customers who are putting the most strain on the resource.

I agree that it does use more air out of the storage tanks and cause more compressor run, but I was referring to their "whine" that accompanies your fill. That whine is not generated by extra compressor noise, but by shop employees or owners. But we've all often seen the standard issue whine by shop owners if you bring some piece of gear in that was not purchased at their shop.

If they want to charge an extra buck or two for the extra 20-30 cf and the extra 500psi then most folks don't have a problem with that. But when you consider that most LDS's that whine about filling those tanks don't have any problems selling you one, it gets old.

The same "whine" can be said about some divers though who will drive 30 miles each way to save 50 cents on an air fill. I've never figured that out.
Most smart divers are more than willing to pay an extra 50 cents, buck or whatever it is to get a better quality air fill out of a compressor that is maintained properly and air graded instead of some old Army surplus compressor across town where the fills are 50 cents cheaper. Go figure.

DIR-Atlanta:
Actually, it's a "pain" because it kills the pressure in the storage banks, which makes it harder to fill other cylinders to their rated pressure. So you wind up having to run the compressor more often, which increases wear and tear, forces you to replace filters more often, etc.

It's simple economics - air fills are a "loss leader" in most shops, and high volume, high pressure fills represent a small fraction of the total number of fills they do. Therefore it only makes sense that they should pass the increased operating costs along to the customers who are putting the most strain on the resource.
Well,
Unless the shop is a really small shop I don't buy into the "loss leader" on air fills.
OUr club probably does 800-1000 fills a month. We have no sales, no rentals, we are a non-profit org. with about 150-200 members on the books at any one time. Our air system has paid for itself and it's maintanance, and membership is $10 a month, with unlimited 24/7 access to filling station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom