Never too late to get certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Our son Olin first learned to dive when he was 12 years old. Did his first night dive at age 14. Over the next 28 years he did around 400-500 dives. All this without ever getting certified.

For his 40th birthday present the wife and I splashed out and bought him an open water certification class. Three days later he became certified. The instructor had one other student (also experienced) and was more nervous than her students because it was her first certification class after getting her instructor's ticket.

Smiles all around!

I met an 80+ year old diver on the Garloo a few years back. She said her one big regret with respect to diving was how long she waited to get certified and start diving. In her 70's.

I smiled halfway home that day.

Love that story!

I have a few friends I've met who certified in their 60 and 70s. Reached the point where local fills didn't do it anymore and wanted to experience live aboards and new dive locations.

...went uncertified myself for 16 years though I tend not to mention it.

Cheers,
Cameron

That's awesome!!

FWIW I got certified at 43.
Likewise - my only regret is not starting diving earlier. Mind you I didn't have the disposal income to buy the gear until the last few years.

I was certified just before my 58th birthday. Had done a few resort dives over the years but just didn't get to it until then. Been very active since, though.

I had a cave diving student become a certified full cave diver for his 65th birthday. He originally became a scuba instructor in 1963.

I was certified in '05 age 51. Had opportunities earlier in life but had no interest in lake diving where I lived. Didn't like the idea of being a "vacation" diver only as it seemed too dangerous. Still do.
I continue to try to dive weekly to keep things sharp, though at this point I probably could go a long time without forgetting the routines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom