Never stern anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lesson to all, your life is worth more than a piece of equipment.

I have been down this road.
The stern of the vessel is not very streamlined. Once while anchored in what started out as a fair sea, when the weather kicked up waves that would have been deflected by the bow were breaking over the transom. The pumps eventually were cycling at around 50% when I switched to a bow position and left.
The reason I switched to the bow position is because previously I had a wreck anchor get stuck and while tied off at the stern and running the engines I noticed the stern dropping dangerously low. I cut the line and sacrificed my anchor for my vessels safety.

There are still conditions where I prefer to anchor form the stern and this is how I do it now. I drop and lock in form the bow then after releasing some scope I have someone run the slack line to the stern while motoring up along side the anchor line. While still secured on the bow we secure it a second time to a short tag line off the stern. When it's time to leave we simply release the stern attachment and wait for the current and wind to swing the boat to a normal bow position. Not only does this work great for me, I have several friends who do this now as well.

There are certainly a couple of lessons to be learned from their incident, although with how many times I've heard the story change, we'll probably never know what really happened.

Tying off the only anchor from the transom isn't the brightest idea for a couple of reasons. As mentioned before, boats aren't made to go backward very fast, so the stern isn't very streamlined. Then the stern usually squats (combined with the bow rising) when the boat starts to accelerate.

Who knows why they thought the stern cleat would be a good idea? The first report the guy gave said that all four of them were trying to pull the anchor up in one corner of the boat. If true, that would put the gunwales dangerously close to the water on such a small boat.

As Chuck stated, far better to keep the anchor on the bow cleat and motor forward. Or cut the anchor line or attach a buoy.

There are probably times when stern anchoring is acceptable, but I've only seen it combined with a bow anchor to hold position.

Actually, I motor backwards with the line still attached to the bow to yank a
stuck hook. As soon as it lets go, I go to neutral and pull the anchor up.
Motoring forward is likely to foul the line in the prop. The key is to motor
in the opposite direction to the way the boat was lieing. If it's snotty, buoy
the anchor and come back later.

It's a really good idea to have the bitter end of the anchor line clipped off
with an SS carabiner. If you need to leave the anchor, either because it's
stuck and snotty out, or because there's an emergency (or a whale to go
see), you just clip it to a fender, toss it overboard and go.

Nemrod, you got the 50,000 foot level explanation of PLBs just fine.

I nearly swamped a boat doing it that way. Some outboard boats have precious little height at the transom and motoring backward could cause a wall of water to come over the transom, fill up the splash well, and flood the deck.

I've never fouled an anchor by motoring forward. Not to say that it couldn't happen, but normally the angle is too severe if it's tied off properly.

I agree with clipping off a buoy and marking the GPS points. Or in their case, just cut the line and buy a new anchor.

I use a Standard Horizon HX850S. It is a submersible Marine Band Radio with built in GPS and emergency location beacon with a strobe. It cost $250 an EPIRB cost $600 plus. I am not saying don't get a EPIRB due to cost because I use mine in a non-standard way. I put it in a McMurdo dive canister, good to 500ft, which is attached to my BC. In case the boat leaves me or I get carried away by a current I can radio them my exact GPS location. If something worse happens I can hit the emergency button and broadcast my location with the strobe activated. Couldn't find an EPIRB that met these personal requirements

The only time I ever stern anchor is in combination to a bow anchor . I do this on a few offshore sites where we dive certain pinnacles. Many times it is very deep around the pinnacle and water will break over the top of the rock. I get as close to the pinnacle as I can and have someone drop the bow pick next to the pinnacle. Then I will back up slowly to give the front line scope and drop a stern anchor. This is to avoid the boat swinging around and getting swamped if it were to drift over the pinnacle. I only stern anchor in very good conditions. I would never use just a stern anchor alone. And I second the suggestions of dumping an anchor to save the boat, that's a no brainer. I also do the same as Chuck and have a big orange ball bouy that I would clip off to the anchor line and throw the whole works over board then come back later to retrieve it if there was some type of emergency like a diver getting swept away. I also educate all new passengers on boat safety proceedures, and on those offshore sites I make everyone bring an SMB and a whistle.

A lot of good points here that can give less experienced boat operators some insight. I investigate boat accidents and have seen some occur as a result of anchoring. I can also recall several fatalities that resulted in very swift water such as in rivers where tossing out an anchor from either the stern or bow resulted in the vessel capsizing as the force of the current pushing against the anchored vessel caused it to be pulled under.

Anchors are cheap and are not worth endangering the boat or folks onboard. I have many dozens of anchors I pick up free when I dive.

Great Info...... Thanks for sharing it could save some lives down the road when folks read about the mistakes done during this boat outing. Being in SWFL I remember this case and I think 2 or 3 of these guys were NFL players. Given the average size of a Football player that was a lot of human weight in a 21' watercraft, added to that an additional 25 gals of gas and full coolers. I'm no expert on boating but I would think the max. load weight was being pushed to the limits if not over.

Still a shame though that these friends were just trying to have a fun day on the water and it ended in tragedy. My prayers go out to their families.

The HX850S is not a PLB. It's a hand-held marine band VHF radio with
Digital Selective Calling distress signal and built-in GPS. Range will be
rather limited, esp. from a diver in the water. Probably about four miles.

I don't think this boat was overloaded. It was an Everglades 211CC. The
current version, the 210CC has a weight capacity of 3400 pounds. Figure
four NFL players at 250 pounds each, a full gas tank (95 gallons at
7 pounds per), and a 600 pound motor, and we are only up to 2265
pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom