Never build a boat, story of the Ho-Hum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The platform is hydraulic. Spooked me when we used it in Canada in 2017. See the chains on the side?
It isn't hydraulic. It is hinged and hangs on the chains. It folds up flat against the transom to save a few feet of dock fees.

It isn't hydraulic. It is hinged and hangs on the chains. It folds up flat against the transom to save a few feet of dock fees.
The platform we used in 2017 and 2018 moved by a button 18 or so inches when we dove on the Miller and Jones. Maybe he got rid of it? That dive ladder of his was the only thing you held on as the platform moved up to the swing out transom door.

Is there a reason why you didn't keep your inboards or upgrade to the Chrysler 360s? My Marinette is a 91, Dave's is a 67, Paul's is a 72, and we all have or put the 360s in them. I don't know what Jitka, Roth, or the Lynches use in theirs.

The platform we used in 2017 and 2018 moved by a button 18 or so inches when we dove on the Miller and Jones. Maybe he got rid of it? That dive ladder of his was the only thing you held on as the platform moved up to the swing out transom door.

Is there a reason why you didn't keep your inboards or upgrade to the Chrysler 360s? My Marinette is a 91, Dave's is a 67, Paul's is a 72, and we all have or put the 360s in them. I don't know what Jitka, Roth, or the Lynches use in theirs.
I asked him, he said it is fixed height and tilts up. It never moved by power.

I upgraded because technology has changed for the better. With the outboards it is faster, lighter, and uses less fuel. I was able to drop the floor 14" and have more interior room. There isn't a single plus I can think of to running old school inboards outside of cost. The fuel savings alone would pay for the swap in a few years. My other Marinette is still inboards. I have the exact same gallons per hour on both boats. The outboard one is traveling at exactly double the speed for that fuel burn.
Jitka has a single 6.2 liter inboard. Travis has a single 454. I don't know what is in the Capital City Marinette. Such, Roth, and the Lynches all have the original 318s. It is amazing how many 28 Marinette dive boats are running in the Great Lakes. The new shop over in Milwaukee just bought a 32 to run as a dive boat.

I asked him, he said it is fixed height and tilts up. It never moved by power.

I upgraded because technology has changed for the better. With the outboards it is faster, lighter, and uses less fuel. I was able to drop the floor 14" and have more interior room. There isn't a single plus I can think of to running old school inboards outside of cost. The fuel savings alone would pay for the swap in a few years. My other Marinette is still inboards. I have the exact same gallons per hour on both boats. The outboard one is traveling at exactly double the speed for that fuel burn.
Jitka has a single 6.2 liter inboard. Travis has a single 454. I don't know what is in the Capital City Marinette. Such, Roth, and the Lynches all have the original 318s. It is amazing how many 28 Marinette dive boats are running in the Great Lakes. The new shop over in Milwaukee just bought a 32 to run as a dive boat.
Marinette made a good hull. They are in-between the world's of Utilitarian and luxury when kept up. We need the inboards for surveying as the side scan needs to hang on one side or the other. I think the reason why they didn't make it was they never really upgraded the design, based their operations in Kentucky, and put the price out of reach for most owners after 88.

As for Ken's platform, there was something he did that raised or lowered the ladder or platform. I can't remember.

Marinette made a good hull. They are in-between the world's of Utilitarian and luxury when kept up. We need the inboards for surveying as the side scan needs to hang on one side or the other. I think the reason why they didn't make it was they never really upgraded the design, based their operations in Kentucky, and put the price out of reach for most owners after 88.

As for Ken's platform, there was something he did that raised or lowered the ladder or platform. I can't remember.
The 34 was very upgraded and modern looking but they only made a few and by that point, they had definitely priced themselves out of the market.
I like both of mine, but for a work boat that needs to run every day and make money, Gas inboards would not be my first, second, or even third choice.

FB_IMG_1689572328394.jpg

The last Marinette ever made in 1995.

I decided to step my game up over the winter. Gyro stabilization coupled with the elevator should really be a game changer. My new toy finally arrived today.

1697761759676.png

I decided to step my game up over the winter. Gyro stabilization coupled with the elevator should really be a game changer. My new toy finally arrived today.

View attachment 806607
Wow.. I've never seen one in real life. That's fancy.

Hope to see some videos of the boat with it off / on.

Congrats.

So many upgrades so far this winter. What started as a simple cut out half the boat, install a seakeeper, weld boat back together turned into an all winter project.
The battery bank was in the back where I needed to mount a seakeeper. I decided to relocate them to the bow as a 500 pound weight shift forward would be nice. That meant I needed to fabricate something that would take a 500 pound weight beating through the waves. I tore out everything original and made a new battery box.
1711937397506.jpeg
1711937427814.jpeg

1711937443502.jpeg

I also needed to add shorepower to run the passthrough for spooling the seakeeper at the dock in the morning. So, I fabbed up an electrical panel and wired up outlets in various places around the boat.

1711937569358.jpeg

1711937583724.jpeg

At that point, I was tired of the original wood paneling walls and plywood benches with no storage. I also never liked that I couldn't stretch out completely. I figured, might as well bump the wall back 6" for some more room and add a shelf for my phone charger. I made a TV mount that swings over the shelf as a door and also swings out into the door to watch from the deck in the evenings. I pulled out all the wood and skinned the cabin in aluminum. Replaced the paneled ceiling with chemlite and made aluminum benches with storage in the front.
I covered everything in EVA foam for a bit of cushion and some noise deadening.

1711937883878.jpeg

1711937893769.jpeg

1711937907788.jpeg

1711937927877.jpeg

1711937980250.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom