Trip Report Damaniyat Islands with Mola Mola Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few weeks ago, my daughter suggested going to Oman again to dive the Damaniyat Islands as we hadn’t been there since 2018, and she was still wanting to see a whale shark as it was coming close to the end of the season for them.

Previously I’ve dived these islands from Al Suwaidi and Oman Sail and Dive at Mussnah. More recently some friends of mine have been using Mola Mola Divers based in Muscat, and I’ve had favourable reports.

full

As it was her idea, I let my daughter make all the arrangements this time (ha ha), and her only stipulation was that we use her car and not mine. Since we weren’t hauling tanks I had no issue with that. We also decided to split the driving too, and she hates driving my car (Land Rover LR4).

Mola Mola also have a good deal with the Mysk Al Mouj Hotel very close by (walking distance) and that was settled. Cost was OMR49/night for both of us including breakfast. (USD127).

full

Some things have changed with regards to visas for Oman, everything is electronic now, and I was informed that visa at the road border was no longer available. The online visa system is fairly straightforward, we did this before in 2018, but you have to be careful when uploading files to keep within a certain file size or the application will be rejected.

There are various prices for the visa depending on whether you are a GCC resident or not, as well as having a suitable occupation to meet their standards. Cost is OMR5/person (USD12.96). Standard tourist visa is OMR20 (USD51.82).

We decided to take a day driving there and the same for the return with two days diving, so in all three nights at the hotel and two days diving (total four dives). In the past when I used to travel to Oman on business I would occasionally do a day’s diving at the end of the week reducing my costs somewhat.

We left on a Thursday morning at around 11:00 and stopped at the Hatta Fort Hotel for lunch. From there and across the border to just outside Muscat, I took over the driving. There were some new changes on the Omani side of the border at Hatta, which was a bit surprising and confusing at first. The old border control at Wajaja is now abandoned! Over the past 25 years this border crossing has changed several times, so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised.

We arrived at the hotel around 17:00, checked in and walked over to the dive centre which was already closed.

Lot’s of eating places around, but none of them serve alcohol, even in the hotel, so be aware and BYO to consume in your hotel room, which is fine when flying into Muscat, but illegal to do so when crossing by land. Be creative! :wink:

We ended up going to the Kempinski for a post dinner drink and that cost OMR20 (USD51.82) for a G&T and a glass of white wine :eek: Needless to say we didn't return.

On Friday morning we carried out dive gear from the hotel to the dive centre and made our payments OMR47 (USD121.79) for a two (air) tank dive inclusive of the OMR6 Government fee to dive the Damaniyat Island reserve.

Mola Mola dive centre is a combination of a couple of shipping containers, put together quite nicely. The place is run by Belinda and Mido with the help of several permanent and (I assume) non-permanent staff. On the two days we dived, Belinda was on the boat leading a group of divers, and there were two instructors on the boat also taking care of other divers (one person was completing their OW on our second day).

The boat we used (Bella) takes 10 divers with the captain and three instructors / DMs. A second boat of the same design is being prepared and is a small twin hull with two outboards. Minimum number of divers they will take to the Damaniyats is five.

full

The boat trip from the marina takes around 45 mins, which is roughly the same time as it takes from Al Suwaidi further north, with the boat leaving around 08:30. The return trip on both days had us back around 14:30, and due to prevailing winds with the boat spray it got very wet on the port side of the boat.

full

Diving from the boat is very easy, with a giant stride from the transom, and a nice ladder too to climb back into the boat after the dive. Staff will help here handing cameras down and helping with cameras and fins when re-boarding.

Lunch is a delicious BBQ, apparently cooked by the boat captain, you won't go hungry during the SI :D

full

During this trip we did not encounter any whale sharks unfortunately, despite my friends seeing one the week before at one of the dive sites.

One of two Jorunna funebris

Several pairs of Hypselodoris pulchella spotted too

Our best dive was the second dive on the second day, where we saw several turtles and rays as well as a leopard shark (sorry video only on that, will be uploaded to YouTube later this week)

My best buddy

We did make a few new friends and had a very good relaxed time with Mola Mola. For sure we will use them again the next time we plan to dive the Damaniyats as they are very professional in how things are done, excellent boat, great staff etc., thank you Belinda et al.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm planning to travel to Oman soon and would like to plan a couple days for diving. I see you traveled with your daughter. Did she need to do anything special to comply with the dress code for women in Oman? I see a photo of someone in a bikini and was surprised. Is it ok to go with Euopean/American swim wear? And did she experience anything different because of being female? @Searcaigh

@Reidnic

My daughter grew up here in the Middle East and is very familiar with the dress code. In public you can get away with shorts and a t-shirt, but she prefers to wear longer trousers.

On the boat and doing water activities it's pretty much the same as any other country to be honest.

@Reidnic

My daughter grew up here in the Middle East and is very familiar with the dress code. In public you can get away with shorts and a t-shirt, but she prefers to wear longer trousers.

On the boat and doing water activities it's pretty much the same as any other country to be honest.
Thanks for sharing, @Searcaigh.

Great writeup as always. Good to see your daughter again, she is one heck of a dive buddy. You did well in that department my friend.

Nice write up thanks! Definitely on the list of places to go :) Need to make a plan after Jan next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom