Neutrally buoyant AL80 3300 vs regular AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khel

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I've been offered slightly used Neutrally buoyant AL80 3300 at one DS and regular, but brand new and cheaper ones AL80s at another :)

So, what is so special about neutrally buoyant AL80 3300? Are they more like steel tanks (shifting more to neuteral by the end of the dive)? Are they good for wetsuit? It's just that I've never heard about them before.

Really intrigued and confused.

khel

khel once bubbled...
Howdy all!

I've been offered slightly used Neutrally buoyant AL80 3300 at one DS and regular, but brand new and cheaper ones AL80s at another :)

So, what is so special about neutrally buoyant AL80 3300? Are they more like steel tanks (shifting more to neuteral by the end of the dive)? Are they good for wetsuit? It's just that I've never heard about them before.

Really intrigued and confused.

khel

IMHO they are a gimmick. Basically the cylinder is a little smaller but with thicker walls so it weighs more. You still get the same bouyancy shift you get from a standard AL80 but you need to carry less total weight.

The problem is that they have to be filled to 3300 to get your 77.4 cf of air. Most often they are filled like any other AL80 so you are getting less air. I have also heard that they have some bad affects on trim, but I cannot confirm that.

It is a rare dive shop that is going to take the time to fill the tank to 3300, so you'll be getting less air much of the time. 9% doesn't sound like big deal until you realize that it is probably reducing your bottom time by more than 10%.

If I want neutral buoyancy, I'll use steel tanks and have less weight in air as a bonus.

Since the Visual Plus has become standard around here, the money advantage of aluminum goes away in a few years.

I don't have a use for the neutral 80s.

Thanks guys, that's the information I was looking for!

khel

I've got a 3300 psi Catalina and I don't think I've ever gotten a good fill. Hasn't been an issue yet as I'm doing shallow diving mostly with my son and getting all the bottom time I want. I got the tank at a great price, so no regrets on my part.

Matter of fact, I might could use a matching tank (for practice doubles). How much are they asking, and where is the shop? I might be up that way sometime.

Again, I agree with all, get the 3000 psi tank (unless you can get it for $60 like I did, and plan to do a lot of shallow diving with it).

They are asking $170 per tank plus 10 fills + vip. ... and it's in Crystal Lake.
And after reading all the opinions, I decided to go with regular 3000 tanks....

khel

Since the Visual Plus has become standard around here, the money advantage of aluminum goes away in a few years.

It's still early so I may still be asleep, but what am I missing?

I have a buddy who's trying to trade a neutral AL80 - the standard Catalina 3300 tank - for a 'regular' AL80. He has his reasons.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up.

OkieDiver once bubbled...

It's still early so I may still be asleep, but what am I missing?

New aluminum tanks are considerably cheaper than new steel tanks. Since Visual Plus inspections have become required for all aluminum tanks at many of the local shops, the extra annual cost for the aluminum overcomes the extra initial cost of the steel.

of your 6061 aluminum tank, you're getting ripped off according to Luxfer's own press release (section 2) release

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom