Neutral buoyancy rig question (someone help me with the math please)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clock115

Reaction score
First, My rig weights about 3.25 lb but I am going to say 3 lb for a slightly negatively buoyant rig. I plan on either using PVC pipe, DivinyCell, or that Stix brand stuff to add buoyancy. I'm interested to hear your opinions of all of these as well.

3lb = 1.36 kg

Neutral buoyancy is when Normal force (Mass x Gravity) = Buoyancy force (Gravity x Density of fluid x Volume displaced)

1.36 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 13.36 N
So, I need to create about 13.36 N of lift to get this rig neutrally buoyant.

13.36 N = 9.8 m/s^2 x 1029 kg/m^3 (density of saltwater) x V
If this is correct, I should need a volume of 0.00132 M^3 which I don't believe is right..
I'm a biologist so not much physics experience. Hopefully, there is an engineer or someone around to kick my ass with these calculations lol.

Thanks for the help and happy diving everyone.

you need to displace 1.36 liters of water, plus a volume of water equal to whatever the weight is of your buoyancy device. water is 1 gram/ cc

Are those 3.25# the weight in water? If so, DD has it right. 3# = 1.36kg, 1 liter of fresh water masses 1kg, and for that kind of numbers you don't worry about the 3% density difference between salt and fresh water. So you need ~1.36L of air, or foam, or whatever. Which is about 2.9 US pints or 0.05 cu.ft.
Don't make it more complicated than necessary.

Any inputs on using Stix brand or just buying some foam such as divinycell? Im using Loc Line on my arms which is where I would attach it.

How deep do you want to go? Some foam will crush pretty shallow. Make sure your Divinylcell is Marine Grade.

Thank you very much those are some good posts. I am going to go with divinycell H100 since it seems to be what most people are using. Have a great day!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom