Nestle wants to bottle water from Florida's Ginnie Springs -- for free

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... It's a great time for such discussions, especially after binge drinking.
After reading several of the FB posts of "disgusting protest video ideas" , it would be difficult for anyone to swallow that bottled water if they went viral on the web.

Ever heard about the concept of leading? If this is indeed “the greatest country on earth” it sure can lead an effort for the greater good.
sounds like cali mumbo or AOC's point of view. leading when you have a problem is one thing but You can not lead for someone elses problem. If simple leading were the case China would not be the worlds main polluter. You will get much further dealing with real present problems than the hypothetical what if in the future problems. For america leading means writing the check. Paris accord was proof of that.

Please, we're not in the Pub. Let's stick to issue at hand as it pertains to cave diving.

No. Not everything runs full circle. I haven't seen the rebound of the long spine spiny sea urchin in the Keys. There were a 140 sink holes that were created one winter in a Florida county due to farmers pumping too much groundwater to fend off a winter freeze. They haven't filled in yet.
so if there was not a freeze the farmers would not have pumped and the sink holes would have been much much less. Had they mot pumped what would have happened????? It really depends on which camp you live in.

so if there was not a freeze the farmers would not have pumped and the sink holes would have been much much less. Had they mot pumped what would have happened????? It really depends on which camp you live in.
No, you're missing the point. Our aquifer is at dangerously low levels. It's like we've been in a drought for over a hundred years. Florida is a karst region, and much of what supports our surface are hydrologic pressures and Archimedes principle. In 2010, Hillsborough County farmers went past a tipping point in their attempt to keep the surface warm with 70F water, and 140 sink holes were created in less than a couple weeks. If you're ever in Florida and see all the retention ponds we have... They're not to control water, but to give it a place to sink in. In addition to all the pumping, we have far, far more ground cover such as parking lots, theme parks and buildings which do their best to allow rain water to evaporate rather than sink into our aquifer. Currently, I believe there are more natural springs in Florida than the rest of the US combined. There's no reason to keep messing with this and destroy what's left. Let Nestle go pump in SE Texas and leave Florida alone.

No, you're missing the point. Our aquifer is at dangerously low levels. It's like we've been in a drought for over a hundred years. Florida is a karst region, and much of what supports our surface are hydrologic pressures and Archimedes principle. In 2010, Hillsborough County farmers went past a tipping point in their attempt to keep the surface warm with 70F water, and 140 sink holes were created in less than a couple weeks. If you're ever in Florida and see all the retention ponds we have... They're not to control water, but to give it a place to sink in. In addition to all the pumping, we have far, far more ground cover such as parking lots, theme parks and buildings which do their best to allow rain water to evaporate rather than sink into our aquifer. Currently, I believe there are more natural springs in Florida than the rest of the US combined. There's no reason to keep messing with this and destroy what's left. Let Nestle go pump in SE Texas and leave Florida alone.

I dont think anything of what you is untrue. It all still says that it is a state matter that can regulate the drawing of the water. someone,,,, some agency is issuing permits for groups like Nestle to take water. We have teh same problem in area's and there is no workable solution becasue it is population driven. Some how I have to question whether stopping all business like nestle from pumping will fix the problem. I say nestle because they are mentioned in the start of the post. My point is that nestle alone is most likely not causing the problem but is only one of many factors when combined that has caused the current problems. If water bottlers stopped all together would it make a difference or has the population's daily consumption exceeded the underground supply capabilities. If the farmers draw caused such problems ( or more accurately brought to light) then the system was already strained and they were the final straw and not the initial cause. If the aquifer is in that great of crisis,,,, why has the state not done anything to correct it, Could it be that there is no fix short of moving the population or tourism to another state? And no nestle probably would not want our water. I dont know. I suspect that our spring supplies are much lower volumn than FLA's are. And on top of that what used to be good water at 300 ft just is not cutting it any more here so our water levels are dropping also along with the depth required to get drinkable water. Many wells are no longer in the water table but airborne , so to speak. Eventually our water tables will fill again. It may take years for the water to seep through the ground to get to the underground supplies. Houstons population IMO is too great to function on its local reasources. Austin is also in that same condition as a water hog status. Like I mentioned before Houston and Austin does not want to deal with the real issues on their water problems. the just want to import (take away form others) water so they dont have to make the tough decisions. I empathize with FLA and their problems. Many other areas are no different though.

My point is that nestle alone is most likely not causing the problem
When you're down to the last few dollars in your bank account, it's probably wise to stop giving money away. There's simply no need to incur a bigger load on a stressed out system. Without going too deep into politics, we had "Redtide Rick" Scott for eight years that was simply the worst thing for our environment here in Florida. They not only did "nothing", but many environmental controls were relaxed and even eliminated. He even tried to close down our State Park system. I didn't vote for the new guy, but his theme has been conservation and that's great. I may not like the rest of his politics, but he might earn my vote next time, if he keeps up the environmental thing.

When you're down to the last few dollars in your bank account, it's probably wise to stop giving money away. There's simply no need to incur a bigger load on a stressed out system. Without going too deep into politics, we had "Redtide Rick" Scott for eight years that was simply the worst thing for our environment here in Florida. They not only did "nothing", but many environmental controls were relaxed and even eliminated. He even tried to close down our State Park system. I didn't vote for the new guy, but his theme has been conservation and that's great. I may not like the rest of his politics, but he might earn my vote next time, if he keeps up the environmental thing.

I agree with you regarding the last few bucks aspect. Yes the environment is important. It always takes more than one to cause or advance the problem. The same goes for the fixing on one. Population is always a major factor. I remember years back when your poor state got the freeze and lost their crops. Growing up in an ag dependant area in the mid west I understand what a loss of a crop can mean. I also understand how every fix causes new problems and that there gets to be a point that your options begin to decline and leave no choice but radical change or doom. Then no one supports either,,,, and points fingers that will not fix a thing. FLA CAL and many large cities all suffer from just that. Speeking in jest of course,,,,, perhaps FLA needs a state income tax like MASS or NY or CAL to chase out the population. But that would not work either if it does not chase out the non contriburters. I really dont know FLA that well but from a distant 3rd party view FLA has nothing more than some ag and tourism to call a state product. If you protect that then the citizens have to leave in order to lower consumption. Its a very bad position indeed. No offence intended.

We don't need an income tax in Florida to solve our water problems. We don't need to force the middle class out (including me), so that the super rich can have a playground.

We have five water management districts in the state and each one can restrict growth as they see fit. Our last governor eviscerated their powers so he could profit off of unbridled growth. Why do you think Nestles wants in on this? Let's let those water districts do their job. No, I don't want another water bottling plant here as it serves no purpose for the state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom