Nestle wants to bottle water from Florida's Ginnie Springs -- for free

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think Nestle will do? Probably nothing nada and squat in that precise order. They will find a way to make the water they pump out drinkable and that's about it. Meanwhile, there will be more pressure on the water table and more salt water intrusion.

Yes you are right it is another straw in the ground, just like all the people moving to north central Florida, and other development. Things will never be the same as William Bartam described, and as I remember when I started cave diving. One of the biggest threats to the springs we like to visit is nutrient loading, and it has been shown to have permanently effected some springs,but this is something we can't blame the water bottling companies for this. Worthwhile for people to become aware of the real threats to the north Florida springs, because that information can be easily found at places like the Suwannee River Water Management web site.

The SRWMD board is holding the public hearing to determine whether the water use permit will be issued tomorrow, 8/11.

More information here:

IMPORTANT SEVEN SPRINGS/NESTLE UPDATE - Our Santa Fe River, Inc.
For those that haven't already checked this out: there are links on that site which allow you to register to attend the hearing tomorrow virtually via computer. The downside is that it's scheduled to be 8 hours long. I'm going to check it out but I definitely won't be in there all day. I believe you can submit comments to the board during the meeting.

There's also a quickie link that will allow you to email the board members with your comments. If you don't want to write comments, it even includes a sample letter. I'm sure they don't read each sample, but if they get 10,000 emails about the same thing it will at least put it in their minds that a lot of folks care about the issue at least a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom