Nerve-racked after first open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
I figure the threads are timeless and will benefit the lurkers who are reading.

The "old thread" warning would be a neat feature just the same.

Pete

:nod: It's "new to me", and I benefitted from the discussion - thanks. Hope he's still diving...

Hi New Diver,
Bad experiences on first dives can scare the hell out of you, so don't over-react. Maybe I'm missing something, but why were you wearing 26 lbs to demonstrate snorkeling skills?? I'm about your size, 10 years older, and I would use 24 lbs in a 7 mil suit, but with tank, BC, the whole works. Just to snorkel you could get away with a lot less weight and do your thing without getting tired.
Good luck and don't give up. Reply how you are doing.

A check for other postings by the OP shows that he limited himself to the OP and a single follow-up back in 2003. Sure would be interesting to know if he's still diving and if so, how well he's doing.

Wow, I just found this thread and he could have been writing about my experience, he would only have to add perforated eardrum to complete the story. I have 2 OW dives left and am aprehensive to say nothing of the difficulty of completing them in Minnesota in the winter. I really have a deep appreciation for all the advice and encouragement I see on this board.

mnmike:
Wow, I just found this thread and he could have been writing about my experience, he would only have to add perforated eardrum to complete the story. I have 2 OW dives left and am aprehensive to say nothing of the difficulty of completing them in Minnesota in the winter. I really have a deep appreciation for all the advice and encouragement I see on this board.

Well and that's why an occasional bump from the archives is a good thing, I think. If nothing else, you know you are not alone in your feelings.

Now, about finishing those dives...come to the Keys, Mon!! It's the clearest, calmest, best way to do it. We went with Conch Republic Divers at the beginning of the month (had just been certified, so we're new), and they were great. We could see the reef from inside the boat -- great dive!! If you go, check out Snapper Ledge - not sure where in the reef system it is -- it's awesome!!

Seriously, take a trip down south to finish up while you're still sort of fresh. There are lots of places down here that do 'referrals' for checkouts...

Either way - welcome!!

Thanks......great idea, which Key do you suggest
Mike

mnmike:
Thanks......great idea, which Key do you suggest
Mike

Upper Keys - Key Largo or Tavernier... Conch Republic Divers are out of Tavernier (mile marker 90.something). Most of the Dive Shops in the upper keys go to the same places. Capt. Gary from CRD is a member here -- as are several other Dive Boat folks. Just do a quick search and you'll see that there are several names that come up over and over...

The Lower Keys - Key West isn't much for diving....not that you can't, but it's just more about what is topside. It's worth visiting sometime, but for diving - the Upper Keys are what you want.

Good luck!!

I remember (not too long ago) when I did my first open water dive after my checkout dives. I had my C-card and decided I try diving in Bermuda. The weather was excellent and I went with a great team of divers. I made sure everyone knew that this was my first dive since my checkout dives a couple of months earlier. I entered the water and immediately started to hyper-ventilate. I just couldn't catch my breath. I was gasping for air so much that the divemaster thought I suffered from asthma attacks. I swam to the side of the boat and I told him that I was calling the dive. I just couldn't do it. He sent the rest of the team down and took a few moments with me on the side of the boat (I was still in the water). He told me to keep my regulator in my mouth and look into the water. Just looking like I was snorkelling. He kept telling me to breath normally and look at the bottom at the rest of the divers. Once I caught my breath he then asked me once again if I wanted to get out of the water or was I now more comfortable to go down. I told him I could go down so we went down together and we joined up with the rest of the team. I have never forgotten his calm demeanor and the way he got me over the initial fear. I've enjoyed diving ever since.

Sometimes the first dive is the hardest, but it gets easier after that.

Mark :)

mefabian,

It might not be the first dive, but the third, or so (it was like that for me with parachute jumping).

I took a guy into an Oregon river who was pretty new too. He had a very hard time getting his head underwater, and breathing. He climbed out (figuratively) twice before I got him calmed down and understanding that he could breath normally underwater.

Breathing underwater in a natural environment is different from a pool. In a pool, we control just about everything--temperature, who we are with, what's around us, etc. In open water, that doesn't happen, and that can provide anxiety.

So what happened to you is actually a pretty normal response to a new environment. I'm glad you had divemaster or instructor on this dive who took the time with you to allow you at acclimize to the environment. I'm sure that, after you got feeling comfortable, you had a great time. I'm also glad that you are continuing in your diving.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom