Neoprene vs. Shell suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never used a Ziplock bag,but the yellow and blue makes green thing might assure a better seal :) Hey,but what does a 2nd generation Newfie know....

I haven't tried the crushed neoprene, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here goes. When I bought my drysuit, I was looking at the same issues, after having, strangely enough, tried some suits at DUI Demo Days. I think everybody has pretty much nailed the differences between the suits: trilam is lighter in weight, dries faster, is less expensive, and may (depending on all kinds of things) be less restrictive; crushed neoprene is more durable, provides some insulating value (which can be a plus or a minus depending on your outlook), is more expensive, and dries slower. In addition, the crushed neoprene suits are usually less baggy, more streamlined. I thought the CLX 450 was a good compromise, more durable than the TLS 350, lighter and dries faster than the neoprene, and in-between on price (am I starting to sound like Goldilocks?). There is yet another option - the DUI FLX 50/50 - CF 200 crushed neoprene on the bottom and trilam on the top. I guess the expectation is that the lower part of the suit will get the most wear.

hi all! i own and have dove a trilam suit, a 7mm neoprene, and now i'm diving a 4mm crushed neoprene from whites. each style of suit has it's own inherent advantages and disadvantages. the neo suits offer better insolation with less undergarments. the crushed is better than the neo. the crushed doesn't compress as much at depth. thus it's warmer.the crushed also let me drop more weight off my belt, more than the 7mm neo or the trilam. the crushed is as bout as bullet proof of a suit that you can possibly find. i looked into the dui crushed suits. PRICY!!!!! i got a much better deal on my whites 45th aniversary 4mm crushed neo suit. IT IS A HEAVY suit. i did a tremendous amount of research before i decided on the whites. after wearing it, my next drysuit will all so be a whites crushed, 4mm, neo. when and if i ever need another drysuit. i don't work for whites, or have any affiliation with the company at all. i have two of their suits and have had such great luck with both of them i won't be buying anything other than another whites. ken

I have benn diving this suit for the last year, and enjoy it more and more. I had originally planned to bounce back and fourth between diving wet and dry, but since going dry, I haven't go back. I find the Neoprene suit very comfortable, and requires the same weight as my 7mm wetsuit.

Being a 5mm suit, it can accomodate various water temps.

Michael

Crushed neoprene. Less bulky than full thickness neoprene and more versatile. Holds its shape much better than a trilam. I use my CN in several different temps - 72 deg Florida spring diving with shorts and a sweat shirt or full undergarments for colder water.

I dive a reg Neo 7mm in our cold waters and love it for warmth and how bullet proof and no fancy under garments,down side is it is warm and lead needed,next to that man it has paid off and some day if the zip goes I will buy a crushed neo,
Shells are cold,you can spend big bucks on undies if you don't realize tech fabrics can be layered.
Brad

karstdvr:
but what does a 2nd generation Newfie know....

More than any mainlander would ever hope to. :wink:

Judging by your location, you must be Cheryl's SO. :)

Thanks for all the info you guys have provided. I bought a Harvey's Aquacapsule off of a lady on ebay and am anxious to try it out. The neck seal may need to be replaced, but for what I paid for it even if it doesn't work out it was worth the effort.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom