Neoprene socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I'm making a list of stuff I want for fall and winter diving when I get some $$$.
I keep hearing about neoprene socks and thought they might be good since I have skinny feet and there's always a lot of water in my boots. However, I have never seen neoprene socks and was wondering if there was anything I ought to know about them before buying some?

Henderson makes neoprene socks called Hot Socks. These are typically used in warm water with full foot fins. I have never thought of using them under booties, but then again I dive in tropical waters.

I have to wear neoprene socks with my Voit UDT fins - they're too tight for booties. Without them, my feet get all torn up. They sure are slippery on a wet boat deck though. They should help insulate your sloshing feet though.

My wife uses them under her booties... She likes them a lot.

We use neoprene socks up here all the time. They make an enormous difference in warmth of your feet when diving in a wet suit.

I dive cold water and I use'em in my booties. Sometimes I'm not really sure I think they make a world of difference but it's probably because my boots are just crap anyway.

But I'd use them anyway because they make getting in and out of tight and heavy wetsuits, dry or wet a breeze, and they protect my feet a little when I'm beachdiving and do the parking lot asphalt dance in my wet undies.

You can get'em long and short.

Gidds:
I'm making a list of stuff I want for fall and winter diving when I get some $$$.
I keep hearing about neoprene socks and thought they might be good since I have skinny feet and there's always a lot of water in my boots. However, I have never seen neoprene socks and was wondering if there was anything I ought to know about them before buying some?

Bought a pair last week, dove with them yesterday - WOW! I got them not because I was getting "cold feet" (:wink: But cuz I was getting blisters... The 2mm that I got work great - and if not make it warmer - make wearing boots a lot more comfortable... And they weren't that expensive...

Here is a link from the auction that I fot them from (the seller was ok - mailed them quickly).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=114234&item=7188265323

Gidds:

In Canada, they come from Mountain Equipment Co-op, so you may want to check somewhere like REI or other places that sell stuff for canoeing/kayaking, if you can't find them at a dive shop or regular sporting goods store. They're great when it's colder, and I've used them under sport sandals for dinghy sailing when only one layer of neoprene is needed and I don't feel like wearing just the booties, typically because of not wanting to feel like I'm walking around in puddles. I've even layered a Smartwool or Wigwam liner sock under the neoprene socks under the booties to try and squeeze a bit of extra warmth out of them in May and early June when the water's still really cold and there's lots of wind and a tendancy to take on more water than usual in the dinghies... MEC sells them for $7.50 CAD.

I had bought some last spring and didn't think they fit in my booties so they went in the drawer. My wife started using hers early in the fall and liked them. A few weeks ago after getting out with cool feet I decided to try again and lo and behold they fit fine. What a huge difference they made! They are the Bare 2mm NeoSOcks https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=219

My booties fit well but did have some room and the socks reduced that water volume as well. There isn't much to pour out apres dive.

I also add some warm water before zipping the booties, in the sock and in the booties. a 1/2 liter bottle does 2 feet. Mother nature's going to bring the cold water , I may as well beat her to the first punch. I was doing this before adding the socks.

I give it a 5 out of 5 on the accessory rating!

Dive warm
Pete

You used to be able to find neoprene socks at Wal Mart for about $8! They were great for caving.

You can still find them at various places like NRS (www.nrsweb.com) and Cabela's (www.cabelas.com). They're great.

Back
Top Bottom