Neoprene Seals and Dry Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a used Northern Divers crushed neoprene drysuit, and I am wondering if the wrist seals need to be trimmed.

They extend past my wrist bone and are a bit on the snug side, but with a little soapy water as lube they are almost comfortable. What is the normal way of sizing a neoprene seal?

I've attached a small picture to illustrate.

I've also picked up a hyperstretch dry hood (medium), and found that while the main part of the hood and the neck seal fit perfect, the front feels like it's pulling on my jaw. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow, but my fear is that the next size up will fit my jaw better but will not be as good a fit on the rest. I'm 22.5 inches on the forehead and 16 neck, and that combination does not fit many of the sizing charts I've seen.

Anyone else been down this road and have any thoughts?

See Jeff at North Atlantic Scuba. I bought a used Whites Nexus on Ebay, perfect fit all around (I thought) but the neoprene neck seal leaked when I looked down. I showed it to Jeff, he insisted I needed at least an inch taken in, which I couldn't believe. He was right.
Also, you do know that the neoprene seals need to be folded in to form the seal? Your picture is pretty small, but it looks like they're unfolded.

Joe,

The neck seal is the type that is folded in, the wrists have the shiny smooth part on the inside.

yak:
I just bought a used Northern Divers crushed neoprene drysuit, and I am wondering if the wrist seals need to be trimmed.

They extend past my wrist bone and are a bit on the snug side, but with a little soapy water as lube they are almost comfortable. What is the normal way of sizing a neoprene seal?

If the wrist seals are not getting in the way of the normal use of your hand, don't trim them. The same thing with whether or not they are too tight. Are they cutting off the ciruculation to your hands?

If you find them too tight, try stretching them overnight. Just use a small pop (that's soda to you non-Canucks :wink:) bottle.

Take care, eh?!

SubMariner:
If the wrist seals are not getting in the way of the normal use of your hand, don't trim them. The same thing with whether or not they are too tight. Are they cutting off the ciruculation to your hands?

If you find them too tight, try stretching them overnight. Just use a small pop (that's soda to you non-Canucks :wink:) bottle.

Take care, eh?!

I stretched them for a few hours yesterday. They're not quite cutting off circulation, but they feel somewhat uncomfortable. They did feel a bit better with some soapy water underneath.
The ND website suggested using baby oil under them. Do you normally have to use some sort of lubricant whenever you wear it?

I'll try stretching them overnight.

thanks

yak:
I stretched them for a few hours yesterday. They're not quite cutting off circulation, but they feel somewhat uncomfortable. They did feel a bit better with some soapy water underneath.
The ND website suggested using baby oil under them. Do you normally have to use some sort of lubricant whenever you wear it?

I'll try stretching them overnight.

thanks

Frankly, once I've stretched them overnight, I've never found the need to use any type of lubricant to get my hand through. I should add that both Pearce & I have neoprene neck & wrist seals, so this isn't just small-boned me talking. :wink:

If an over-night stretch doesn't work, try a bit longer. The only consolation I can add is that neoprene seems to have memory, so once you've gotten it stretched to where you need it to be & keep using it, it will stay stretched.

Bonne chance,

yak:
Joe,

The neck seal is the type that is folded in, the wrists have the shiny smooth part on the inside.

The wrists seals sound like latex, if they were neoprene, the smooth part would be on the outside, to be folded in against the skin to form the seal. Sounds like you have neoprene neck, however.
I don't have latex seals, but my understanding is that no amount of stretching will change the size.

joecad:
The wrists seals sound like latex, if they were neoprene, the smooth part would be on the outside, to be folded in against the skin to form the seal. Sounds like you have neoprene neck, however.
I don't have latex seals, but my understanding is that no amount of stretching will change the size.

Joe,

My buds dive DUI suits, so I'm familiar with what latex seals look like. Mine are definitely neoprene, and the smooth part is on the inside. Man - they'd be even tighter if I had to fold them!

They're stretching overnight tonight (on pop bottles :wink: ). Will find out tomorrow how well it worked.

yak:
My buds dive DUI suits, so I'm familiar with what latex seals look like. Mine are definitely neoprene, and the smooth part is on the inside. Man - they'd be even tighter if I had to fold them!

They're stretching overnight tonight (on pop bottles :wink: ). Will find out tomorrow how well it worked.

Hey, Yak!

What happened with the seals? Did the pop bottles work?

Inquiring minds, y'know...

Back
Top Bottom