Neoprene neck seal on Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latex seals are thin and flexible and, in my experience, easier to get in and out of. They're also fragile and, on me, don't last very long. Neoprene seals are bulkier and a little harder to get into and get straightened out, but they have intrinsic insulating capability, so they are warmer. They are less fragile, and can be repaired if they are damaged. They last longer. A lot of people say they tend to leak a little bit, but that hasn't been my experience with the other suit that I had changed over.

Hi all,
I am still fairly new to diving I know this may sound like a stupid questions. But, I have to ask, sorry. What is the differences between the 2 seals and the pro's and con's of each? And which one is the best of the 2 or are they the same?
Thank you again for your help.. :popcorn:
Kurt

Latex seals are made from thin latex rubber. They are stetchy and flexible and as such seal nicely to the skin but offer no thermal insullation. Some are simple sock like shapes, others have a bellows shape to provide freedom of movement. Other than an act of desperation they are not repairable. Virtually all dry glove systems are designed for latex seals.

A Neoprene seal is made from 6-7 mm neoprene with one side beign smooth neoprene, The neck seal is double long and it tucks down into itself like an inverted turtle neck. The resulting seal is very warm and can telescope some. Being neoprene thay can be mended with wetsuit cement. Depending on the fit they can become unpredictable on very deep dives where the neoprene will compress, changing the fit. Latex wrist seals may pull straight on or get turned under like the neck seal depending on design.

My present suit is all neoprene and has been warm and dry.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom