Neoprene DS Undergarmants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m diving dry in a 7mm neoprene suit. So far I have been using wicking undies and common sweats and I as OK to 40F but I wasn’t overly warm. I plan to eventually dive in the 33-35F range and think I will want a little more insulation. I was thinking that a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit would give me an edge thermally as well as a hedge against the day when my drysuit becomes wet. Based on my experience diving wet with others I’d say I have average or better cold resistance.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

Well, as I have written before, I am delighted with my Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment. It has kept me warm through several bad drysuit leaks, including one I'd term a real flood. I'd wonder if you might be too warm with it, if you are happy in sweats alone, but I've also sat on a park bench in the sun in mine and not gotten overheated because they breathe so well.

Actually TSandM your experinces are one of my motivations. I'm thinking that given the insulation of the neoprene suit 200g will be ample.

Pete

Pete,

Are you planning on wearing the Thins over the wickers or in place of all of it?

I highly encourage you to not wear sweats at all, for obvious reasons.

Keep in mind that at sufficient depth that neo suit will essentially be a shell and it's the "undies" that will be your insulation.

When I dove neo I used a layering system of light/mid/heavy polypro depending on the time of year.

I dive a DUI CF200 with a Bare 200g thinsulate undergarment. This past weekend I was in the Portland Quarry at 37F. My hands were cold (I should have listened to my buddy and walked back to the truck and grabbed my cold water gloves) but the rest was just fine.

I also had Underaurmor cold gear top and thin hot chillies on the bottom as a base layer to get moisture away from my skin.

Back
Top Bottom