Drysuit Donning Advice - Getting my feet into neoprene socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not to be pessimistic but is it simply possible the neoprene socks you have on the drysuit are simply too small and you need to move to a larger size? I hate to say that because that is a few hundred dollars to get them replaced but it may be just that simple. I hope I am wrong.
I had neoprene socks on my old fusion for a while. I had to deal with slightly tight ones. The next size up was much too large. That might be the case with the OP.

Following. I have a Santi and have the same issue. I wouldn't get a bigger foot pocket size and they are just right, but it seems like the ankle area could be made bigger.

Following. I have a Santi and have the same issue. I wouldn't get a bigger foot pocket size and they are just right, but it seems like the ankle area could be made bigger.
Know exactly what you mean. I had that same issue.

Hi all,

I opted for neoprene socks and Rock boots for my drysuit but am always the last to finish donning as it takes so long to get my feet into the suit's neoprene socks, especially in winter with thicker undersocks. Its not just the time though, its the effort which always leaves me sweating as I work to pull them over my feet an inch at a time! Any tips / tricks?

Thinking of carrying a spray bottle of water to wet them - as they do loosen up after the first dive (but clearly by then they are soaking and that may not always be practical when donning for the first dive).

Also considering plastic bags on my feet like with the wetsuit trick - but imagine that would be uncomfortable to leave them on.

Also already have the largest size I can get away with - its just the inside of the neoprene is so darn sticky!

Thanks
Simon
What brand of drysuit do you have?

I must say I've not found the neoprene grippy/sticky, but glued areas can be. You could try dusting them with talc/french chalk?

Wow so many responses already - many thanks! I have a Santi Elite plus and like others have suggested with a Santi the foot pockets are fine - its the ankle area that is the problem - its very narrow and the neoprene simply doesn't stretch - better when soaking wet admittedly. Seems like a brand thing but at least I'm not alone!

I normally where a pair of Heat Holders (relatively thick hiking socks), sometimes with a pair of Underarmour boot socks underneath. Have just bought a pair of FE Hotfoot Pros which may help with the material smoothness, but are at least as thick if not thicker than my HHs and UA socks combined!

Chalk on the glued area and I'll see if I can find some lycra socks that would fit over are welcome and inexpensive suggestions.

Thanks
Simon

I don't understand why you would choose closed-cell foam Neoprene in a drysuit. You will loose thermal insulation at depth where you need it the most.
Is this a comment to the OP or a statement regarding Santi suits? I’m confused.

Is this a comment to the OP or a statement regarding Santi suits? I’m confused.

My comment was in reference to this quoted bit from the OP.

I opted for neoprene socks and Rock boots for my drysuit

I was addressing closed cell foam Neoprene used for insulation under any drysuit. Like a wetsuit, the material compresses under pressure and the insulation value drops. The insulation value of fabric underwear does not change significantly with depth.

My comment was in reference to this quoted bit from the OP.

I was addressing closed cell foam Neoprene used for insulation under any drysuit. Like a wetsuit, the material compresses under pressure and the insulation value drops. The insulation value of fabric underwear does not change significantly with depth.
I think you’re misinterpreting what he wrote (or I am, there can only be one victor here today). I think he was saying he ordered his drysuit with neoprene socks (rather than integrated boots). Not that he was wearing neoprene socks under his …neoprene socks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom