Neoprene Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Neoprene suits, on the other hand do still compress at depth and the loss of buoyancy needs to be compensated with more air in the suit and/or wing, which is why trilam suits tend to be more popular among deep divers (I'm talking tek-deep not rec-deep). If you ask me, I'd say in the 30 metre to surface range, this dicussion about compression is more or less meaningless, but that's just my personal experience. Other divers may be more sensitive for this than I am.

I would say it's very much meaning to mention about the compression. 3/4 of the compression comes in the first 30 metres range and after that, between 30 to 70 metres only 3/8.

TeddyDiver:
I would say it's very much meaning to mention about the compression. 3/4 of the compression comes in the first 30 metres range and after that, between 30 to 70 metres only 3/8.

Fair enough.

When I wrote that I was thinking more in terms of the mass of equipment you need to take if you go much beyond Nitrox range. In the 30m to surface range your equipment doesn't generally weigh as much so the compression isn't aggravated by teh extra negative buoyancy of bunch of tanks.

R..

One of the most comprehensive posts on the old "shell vs neoprene" can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=7462

There is a LOT of good info in the above link, though I don't believe the latex vs neoprene seals thing was covered. I stay just as dry in my neoprene Unisuits as in my Vikings.
Latex seals can make for cold spots, the most annoying/problematic is on the back of the neck, which you won't have if an attached neoprene hood is used.
Attached hoods do wonders for keeping warm & dry, if staying warm & dry is of primary concern, use an attached hood.
Exhaust valves WILL allow water into the suit if depressed & there is no air left in the suit to exhaust.

My CD4 has latex wrist seals and one of "those fold over neoprene neck seals" and I have never had a leak in the neck or around the valves.

I have two DUI CF-200 suits. One I bought used, and had DUI work over. The other is my CF-200X which was custom cut for me, and is now fitted with the zip-seals, pockets, "p" valve, and hook-up for electric vest.

They are both outstandingly comfortable. Both are easy to self-don with the front zipper. Just my ppO2's worth. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom