Neoprene Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver:
All the people I dive with that use neoprene dry suits; there suits leak.

Ok, this I can agree with.

I constantly hear "I got a shot of water down my (neck/arm)". It seems in particular, the fold over neoprene seals a pain in the arse, and prone to this. You can always get latex seals on a neoprene drysuit though.

I have a custom made Diving Concepts crushed neoprene drysuit (Pinnacle 2000). it has never leaked and it is streamlined and comfortable.

Thank you all for the info. I have tried different suits, both trilam and neoplene, and agree that I like the flexibility of the shell and latex seals are the way to go, but I like the simplicity of the neoprene suit. Maybe I should ask what is the preferred neoprene drysuit with latex seals. The coldest water I have been in yet is 46 here in California and a I was fine without an undergarment in the neoprene suit. Call me crazy, but I won't even wear a suit if the water is warmer than 70.

Beats the heck out of me -- I haven't had leaks with neoprene seals, and REALLY like the warmth -- latex people sometimes vetch about cold wrists/necks.

Canadian_Diver:
Ok, this I can agree with.

I constantly hear "I got a shot of water down my (neck/arm)". It seems in particular, the fold over neoprene seals a pain in the arse, and prone to this. You can always get latex seals on a neoprene drysuit though.

The latex seals would work much better. However, the leaks I have notice most with neoprene suits where from the exhaust valves. I don't have a neoprene suit so I can't make a comment on how well the operators know how to use there suit. But, one of the individuals has been commercial diving for over 20 years and his suit has this same leak problem. All of these neoprene suits are from different manufactures (3) as well.

Here's a vote for the Poseidon Unisuit. I have over a hundred Great Lakes dives in mine and love it. It is very warm and minimal undergarments are required. It dries fast and I will say that from time to time there is slight weeping throught the wrist seals, but really no big deal. It's a great drysuit.

perschreuder:
Thank you all for the info. I have tried different suits, both trilam and neoplene, and agree that I like the flexibility of the shell and latex seals are the way to go, but I like the simplicity of the neoprene suit. Maybe I should ask what is the preferred neoprene drysuit with latex seals. The coldest water I have been in yet is 46 here in California and a I was fine without an undergarment in the neoprene suit. Call me crazy, but I won't even wear a suit if the water is warmer than 70.

Maybe you're part Canuck?? :D

One thing to consider, is that if you do get crush/compressed neoprene, it's going to run you about the same as a shell suit.

I'm not sure which manufacturers use latex seals on their neoprene suits or if any even do it at all. But I have heard of folks getting latex seals placed on their neoprene suits... never seen it though.

markfm:
Beats the heck out of me -- I haven't had leaks with neoprene seals, and REALLY like the warmth -- latex people sometimes vetch about cold wrists/necks.

Mark, chances are, those people are wearing improper gloves and hoods to compliment the latex seals. My shell suit has a warm collar neck on it, one of the other things to look for. :thumbs-up

Rec Diver:
The latex seals would work much better. However, the leaks I have notice most with neoprene suits where from the exhaust valves. I don't have a neoprene suit so I can't make a comment on how well the operators know how to use there suit. But, one of the individuals has been commercial diving for over 20 years and his suit has this same leak problem. All of these neoprene suits are from different manufactures (3) as well.

So, is it just the valves themselves that are leaking, or is it leaking around the outsides of the valves where they press fit against the neoprene?

The best Dry Suit in the world (for water that IS NOT contaminated)is still the DUI CF200, I have one and am ordering a second custom fit suit. I would recomend the self-don with rock boots, have all pockets factory installed.

Nothing else made comes close, but please let me know if you think there is something better though

Back
Top Bottom