Neoprene Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver:
Maybe you're part Canuck?? :D

One thing to consider, is that if you do get crush/compressed neoprene, it's going to run you about the same as a shell suit.

I'm not sure which manufacturers use latex seals on their neoprene suits or if any even do it at all. But I have heard of folks getting latex seals placed on their neoprene suits... never seen it though.
The Apollo has latex seals, so do the DUI CF200, and the Bare XDC2 Pro (at least you can get this one with latex seals).

Last October I bought a Diving Concepts Pro 650HD. It's a 7mm neoprene suit compressed to 4mm. I got cuff rings put in so I can use dry gloves or wrist seals. The nice thing with the cuff rings is if you rip a wrist seal it is easily replaceble, snap a new one on and your ready to go. I have about 40 dives on the suit and have had no problems.

jptrealty:
The best Dry Suit in the world (for water that IS NOT contaminated)is still the DUI CF200, I have one and am ordering a second custom fit suit. I would recomend the self-don with rock boots, have all pockets factory installed.

Nothing else made comes close, but please let me know if you think there is something better though

There is a lot of personal preference involved in dry suit selection. I, for one, don't care for the DUI suits. I don't like the rock boot system or the way the suits fold over. In any event, try as many as you can. I do compliment DUI on thier promotional opportunities that allow you to try out different suits.

I have two O'Neil neoprene dry suits. The first one did not have seam tape on the inside of the neck seal which caused a problem after about 2-3 dives when the seam separated. But the good news is that a torn neoprene seal is an easy fix with neoprene cement and that taping the inside of the seam has kept it tear free for the last 100 dives or so.

The most recent and later serial numbered O'Neil suit has the seam tape already installed from the factory so obviously learning occured based on field experience.

Both suits were bought with only a couple dives on them for under $300 each.

The suit quality overall is very good and I have found them to be very durable. I have had small leaks around the valve on several occasions but this amounts to less than a quarter cup of water and is actually not noticed until after the dive. (Unlike a trilam, a neoprene dry suit is still toasty if wet or even fully flooded as the suit itself is a very good insulator. Worst case, you end up with a very low flow semi-dry wet suit.)

We also own an Atlan neoprene drysuit that is also very well made and comes with excellent Si-tech valves. We have never had a leak in this suit. I swapped valves between O'Neil and Atlan suits to see if the valve was the issue, but what I found was that the O'neil still had the small and occasional leak with the Si-tech exhaust valve.

I suspect the issue is that the O'neil suit has a much trimmer cut and generally has less air in it than the Atlan in the arm/shoulder area. So I suspect that some slight leakage occurs when the last of the air in the suit leaves but before the valve fully closes. Diving with more weight and more air in the suit would no doubt resolve the problem, but then it would swim more like a trilam, and I prefer the near wet suit swimmability you get with a neoprene suit. In any case, I prefer the trimmer cut swimmability and have not found the slight leaking to be an issue in everyday use. Since I only need a polypropylene sweat shirt and sweat pants for underwear even at 150 ft in 35 degree water it's no big deal to take along a spare shirt to use on the next dive if a leak occurs.

Having used trilams for nearly 2 decades before switching to neoprene suits, I can say that in my experience that a neoprene suit and light polypropolene sweat suit type undergarments and 5mm wet suit gloves is warmer than a trilam with 400 gram thinsulate undergarments and dry gloves even at depth in near freezing water. All the DUI pro trilam anti-neoprene propoganda says it shouldn't be, but it is.

perschreuder:
I am looking for a neoprene drysuit and would like some feedback on what company you think offers the best suit. I know many will have different opinions, so please give me some reasons why you like a particular type of suit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Per

Neoprene drysuits "swim trim" and offer the insulation of neoprene in the event of a puncture or other failure. If "bag suits" worked, fish would look like bags. The neoprene suits can be used with or w/o undergarments depending on water temps.

Apollo, Bare, Hendeson, O'Neil, and others offer very good versions.

At Apollo our 4mm microcell suits use latex neck and wrist seals.
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Drysuits/EX_Drysuit.htm

I am sure you will get a wide variety of comments. Rent a few models, try them yourself.

My Diving Concepts crushed neoprene suit has latex cuff seals, a dry latex hood and neoprene neck seal.

perschreuder:
I am looking for a neoprene drysuit and would like some feedback on what company you think offers the best suit

The best? The best is whatever fits you best. Take just advice about bad experiences and buy any suit that fits you.
If you choose to dive without an undersuit why to bother buying a DS if the money is an issue?

jptrealty:
The best Dry Suit in the world (for water that IS NOT contaminated)is still the DUI CF200, I have one and am ordering a second custom fit suit. I would recomend the self-don with rock boots, have all pockets factory installed.

Nothing else made comes close, but please let me know if you think there is something better though

That's your opinion, not fact.

I love my Oceanic Aerdura, and my buddy adores his Oceanic BioDry. Both are used by various naval, military, and law enforcement agencies around the world. I wonder why? :06:

Ron Brandt:
I have been using a custom cut Oceaner this year. This is by far the warmest suit I have ever used.....Yes I own the other types as well!

Good choice!! Most of my buddies dive and love their Oceaner suits. I have a 5mm shorty for more temperate waters.

Back
Top Bottom