Neoprene drysuit use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parson63

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple of years ago I got drysuit certified to extend my diving through the winter months. I live in south Alabama and plan on using the drysuit in a dive park near Birmingham and the springs in northern Florida. I have used both shell suits and neoprene suits, and frankly I like the neoprene suits better. I have decided to make the leap and buy my own drysuit. Now for the question for you neoprene drysuit pros. If I plan on diving in water in the 40 degree range, do I need to wear undergarments with a neoprene suit? That would be extreme temperatures and only at Alabama Blue Water Adventures. The springs stay a constant 68 degrees year round and I only want the drysuit for when I get out of the water. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have to agree with Jimmer, if you want to stay warm that is. I have a BlackIce and in low to mid 40's with a thin Marks Work Wearhouse fleece I was on the cool side. With no fleece I would have been freezing.

Start off with tights and sweats from the childrens or ladies dept
at WalMart.

Layered clothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did and haven't looked back, but others have.

Makes me feel mmmnnnneeeeeeuh, like a man.

Oh and you will want these things for more than
when you pull out and consider waste expulsion
too.

Seems to be a bit of it going on at the moment.

Did I miss something? You said the water is 68 degrees and you want to know about the undergarments for purposes of air temps?

If the water is that warm, I wouldn't think you'd need undergarments (I could be wrong). For air temps, consider buying a $12 reusable space blanket from any sporting goods store. I use mine all the time when I go to our local quarry and it keeps me nice and toasty. Last time the water temps were in the low 40s and air temps were in the low 30s. I was wearing 13mm of wetsuit on my very wet core and I was completely comfortable with the space blanket. (I get cold very easily when wet.)

I dive 3mm compressed neoprene typhoon drysuit (hey got it new for $500 from the dive shop!).

I use sweatshirt and sweatpants and thick socks (not cotton!) and I am fine. Water temp was 43F past Sunday.

Thanks for sharing Knowone :mooner:

I have thought about wool socks vs neoprene. Haven't tried it yet. If you are going to Wiki to look at layering check out wool!

I'm using crushed neoprene in the Vancouver area - 45F. I wear some underarmor that I use for skiing/running and fleece on top of that. In my boots I wear thin hiking socks with thick wool socks. I'm toasty warm.

I dive both neoprene and shell drysuits. With the neoprene drysuit, I use regular fleece tops and bottoms that you can get from any sporting good stores. It's an older, 6.5 mm thick neoprene drysuit - I might go with diving undergarments for a compressed neoprene suit, though. With the shell suit, I wear undergarments made specifically for drysuit diving. I wear wool socks with both (I have hard boots on both suits), because I personally find them to be much more comfortable than neoprene socks.

A couple of years ago I got drysuit certified to extend my diving through the winter months. I live in south Alabama and plan on using the drysuit in a dive park near Birmingham and the springs in northern Florida. I have used both shell suits and neoprene suits, and frankly I like the neoprene suits better. I have decided to make the leap and buy my own drysuit. Now for the question for you neoprene drysuit pros. If I plan on diving in water in the 40 degree range, do I need to wear undergarments with a neoprene suit? That would be extreme temperatures and only at Alabama Blue Water Adventures. The springs stay a constant 68 degrees year round and I only want the drysuit for when I get out of the water. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would not need undergarments in 68F water with my old crushed 4mm neoprene drysuit. Just tracksuit pants and a t-shirt. I used to only use this down to about 50F but adding two of those stripy thermal tops to it. I could do about 100mins like this. In a trilam I can only do about 60mins in these clothes so I got an undergarment when I switched drysuits...

Back
Top Bottom