Neoprene Drysuit Owners - Zipper Replacement/Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
I got a quote yesterday for $160. Since the rest of the suit looks good I would have a hard time justifying $1000 for a new suit when I can get back into my suit, which I like, for $160. Tempted as I am to buy new dive gear.

If it was like $300 I would definitely hop into a new suit.

Thanks for the replies.

--Matt

Im interested to know where you got the quote for $160. I might be giving them some business!!!

One other suggestion is to look at the mating edges of the zipper. Sometimes they get furry loose fibers that can make the zipper weep. These can be cleaned up carefully with scissors or with a soldering iron. If this is the cause of your leak, maybe a new zipper is not yet needed.

Dennis

BuoyantC:
One other suggestion is to look at the mating edges of the zipper. Sometimes they get furry loose fibers that can make the zipper weep. These can be cleaned up carefully with scissors or with a soldering iron. If this is the cause of your leak, maybe a new zipper is not yet needed.

Dennis

I finally had a weekend sans diving to get this done. I dropped the suit off today for zipper replacement. I was tempted to buy another suit. These suits now are $450. I did have the loose fibers going on at the end. I would make sure my buddy tucked these into the suit but they may have indeed contributed to the leaking. The rubber around the zipper was quite worn as well. I think it was due to my lack of zipper waxing. I would usually do the outside of the zipper and not the inner zipper portion (duh) so I'm sure that contributed to my short zipper life. We'll see how this suit performs with the new zipper and new waxing discipline.

--Matt

The loose threads can be effectively treated with a lighter; just singe the critters right down & the nub will slow down further unraveling.
I have suits in excess of 20 years old with original zippers. How long they last is directly proportional to how well you take care of them. If ya get into any mud, have someone rinse/wash the zipper off before unzipping.
Every few dives clean the teeth with a soft toothbrush, and even though the manual says you don't need to, lightly lube the zip every time you use it.
McNett (of AquaSeal fame) has some very good zipper care products, invest in some of the liquid "Zip Care" and the wax stick, "Zip Tech".
Neoprene suits can get away with the silicone wax, "Max Wax" instead of the "Zip Tech".
http://www.mcnett.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom