Neoprene Drysuit Owners - Zipper Replacement/Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My O'Neill 7mm neoprene drysuit has served me well for 5 years without a single leak. Unfortunately I have began to notice a slow leak on my left shoulder. Saturday it was a bit more pronounced and I felt water making its way down my left arm. It is not constant, which is odd, because I can't even feel much moisture in my thermals when I am surfaced but I definitely feel it when it's happening.

So it looks like it's time for a zipper replacement. I have been thinking about the idea of dry gloves as well so I may get all this done at once.

I was curious what other neoprene drysuit owners have experienced in terms of zipper life.

--Matt

5-7 years and/or 400-700 dives. I had one suit with about 900 dives on it and it never needed a new zipper the suit just out and out died. I have had a zipper replaced after 250 dives but I was at fault. These are all across the shoulders on the back which it the style I like, self donning is not needed if you dive with a buddy or have a tender all the time.

Matt- assuming it is the zipper, is there really a diff. between shell suits and neoprene? From what I've seen, dry suit zippers are very similar so the suit material shouldn't be an issue. A bigger question would be zipper placement and the amount of stress placed on it (is it accross the back, a front zip, etc.) Also, do you apply wax or some sort of lube frequently, how many dives on the zipper, etc. I just hate to see your thread turn into a rant for why brand X suits are better than brand Y if this isn't the issue or underlying cause. I suspect some that some people are far harder on their gear than others also. I know of two divers that dive together frequently, both use neo dry suits, and both replaced zippers within six months of each other. Both suits had at least 300 dives each and I would bet that at times these dives were extreme.

yknot:
Matt- assuming it is the zipper, is there really a diff. between shell suits and neoprene? From what I've seen, dry suit zippers are very similar so the suit material shouldn't be an issue. A bigger question would be zipper placement and the amount of stress placed on it (is it accross the back, a front zip, etc.) Also, do you apply wax or some sort of lube frequently, how many dives on the zipper, etc. I just hate to see your thread turn into a rant for why brand X suits are better than brand Y if this isn't the issue or underlying cause. I suspect some that some people are far harder on their gear than others also. I know of two divers that dive together frequently, both use neo dry suits, and both replaced zippers within six months of each other. Both suits had at least 300 dives each and I would bet that at times these dives were extreme.

The zipper itself would be the same. My zipper goes across the shoulders on the back. The suit material does make a difference in terms of zipper stress. Neoprene stretches/absorbs more stress near a zipper compared to a trilam for example.

My other seals are in great condition.

Thanks for the replies.

--Matt

For what a new zipper costs....and what a new suit costs like the one you have.....your money would be better spent on a new suit. The owner of Superior Drysuit Repair told me not to waste my money on upgrades to the suit ....he called the $700 Neo suits on the market..."disposable drysuits"....great to learn and get started, but save your pennies for a more durable suit.

I had an O'Neill suit as my entry level suit to dry diving. The zipper was still fine when the suit finally died. I had roughly 150 dives on it over a 2 year period. The neoprene just started to give way. Every evening of the day's diving found me with Aquaseal & Cotol trying to patch the suit up for the next day's diving.

I recommend you invest in a new suit by a superior manufacturer.

matt_unique:
My O'Neill 7mm neoprene drysuit has served me well for 5 years without a single leak. Unfortunately I have began to notice a slow leak on my left shoulder. Saturday it was a bit more pronounced and I felt water making its way down my left arm. It is not constant, which is odd, because I can't even feel much moisture in my thermals when I am surfaced but I definitely feel it when it's happening.

So it looks like it's time for a zipper replacement. I have been thinking about the idea of dry gloves as well so I may get all this done at once.

I was curious what other neoprene drysuit owners have experienced in terms of zipper life.

--Matt

I too used an oneill (and was happy with it) for a few years and the zipper gave out when it was damaged. At that point it was a question of whether or not the suit was worth sufficient $$$ to warrant spending money to replace its zipper. I decided to spend a few more $$$ and replace the suit. I have not regretted the decision.

Green_Manelishi:
I too used an oneill (and was happy with it) for a few years and the zipper gave out when it was damaged. At that point it was a question of whether or not the suit was worth sufficient $$$ to warrant spending money to replace its zipper. I decided to spend a few more $$$ and replace the suit. I have not regretted the decision.

I have thought about this too. I have been happy with the suit. We'll see what the repair estimate is for the zipper. If it's crazy I would probably buy another suit. I may also get dry gloves installed. I would be able to take the dry glove hardware with me should I buy another suit.

--Matt

IMNSHO, most of the time, it is not worth it to put a new zipper into a neoprene drysuit. Figure about $250-290 for a new zipper, depending on where you go, and the style of zipper. You decide if its worth it to you...

I got a quote yesterday for $160. Since the rest of the suit looks good I would have a hard time justifying $1000 for a new suit when I can get back into my suit, which I like, for $160. Tempted as I am to buy new dive gear.

If it was like $300 I would definitely hop into a new suit.

Thanks for the replies.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I got a quote yesterday for $160. Since the rest of the suit looks good I would have a hard time justifying $1000 for a new suit when I can get back into my suit, which I like, for $160. Tempted as I am to buy new dive gear.

If it was like $300 I would definitely hop into a new suit.

Thanks for the replies.

--Matt
Sounds like a great price for a new zipper. BTW, have you figured out how the dry gloves are going to work out? I'm curious because I also have a neoprene suit. The problem with every type/brand I've seen is that with neoprene suits (and neo seals), the locking ring tends to end up some where too high up on your wrist and then becomes a hinderance. The trick will be to get the rings down lower, putting the tops of them below your wrist and not limiting mobility.

Back
Top Bottom