Neoprene Drysuit flexibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJockey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to buy a drysuit. I learned in a DUI and REALLY liked it. I tried on an OS and felt clastraphobic - I think it was just too small.

Are neoprene drysuits less flexible than shells? In cold water (I live next to the puget sound, 46*F) would I have to wear less layers because it's 7mm of insulation? I really like the DUI shell because I could reach my fins easily with the BC and tank on. I think flexibility is the most important thing for me.

How comfortable are neoprene neck seals? Do they work very well? It seems like latex would work better but I know they aren't as durable.

I'm looking for opinions that can be backed up with logic here. :wink: I will probably rent a few different brands but I think asking this community is the best place to start.
THANKS!

I use a 6mm neoprene suit, and I don't have any problems with flexability. The biggest difference I had to get used to was, compared to a wetsuit, the bulkiness of the zipper across my shoulders. It doesn't cause a problem, but it does feel different.

I have latex seals, but my buddy has neoprene. Mine were easy to trim and they don't leak a drop! His tend to let a few spoonfulls through during the dive. His are easier to don/remove, and warmer than my latex. Then again, the latex is cheap & easy to replace.

I'd feel comfortable recommending latex seals - my buddy is ready to send his suit in to be switched. The best trick I know is have a bottle of watered-down glycerine to spray/rub over your hair, face, & hands. That way you can slip easily in & out of the seals. Mine have lasted a long time - I think much of the "early wearing out" of latex seals is due to the large amount of force needed to push your head through when dry.

I have used both shell suits and neoprene suits. Personally I prefer the neoprene suit due to:

1. Greater warmth with lighter undergarments,
2. Greater flexibility of the suit due to the inherent stretch of the suit material, and
3. Better swimmability of the suit given the much snugger fit that is possible with the stretchier material and thinner undergarments.
4. It's almost as streamlined as a wet suit and any squeeze is much less harsh, so you can comfortably use less air in the suit without sacrificing warmth or comfort.

I also prefer neoprene seals. They are warmer and more durable and the neck seals will not dump air in some situations where a latex seal will.

DiveJockey:
I am looking to buy a drysuit. I learned in a DUI and REALLY liked it. I tried on an OS and felt clastraphobic - I think it was just too small.

Are neoprene drysuits less flexible than shells? In cold water (I live next to the puget sound, 46*F) would I have to wear less layers because it's 7mm of insulation? I really like the DUI shell because I could reach my fins easily with the BC and tank on. I think flexibility is the most important thing for me.

How comfortable are neoprene neck seals? Do they work very well? It seems like latex would work better but I know they aren't as durable.

I'm looking for opinions that can be backed up with logic here. :wink: I will probably rent a few different brands but I think asking this community is the best place to start.
THANKS!

I have a 7 mm neoprene O'Neil with neoprene seals that I have done my best in the past five years to wear out and it's still going strong.

I have a couple of places that are patched with Aqua Seal thanks to some wire rope on a wreck in Panama City about four years ago. The neoprene seals do let a little water in if I cant my head way back. It just reminds me to stay horizontial.

I also have a White's fabric suit with latex seals and a built in neoprene hood. I just like the neoprene better. It's more streamlined and I wear less undergarments and the seals are easier to get off and on. If this one will ever wear out I plan on buying another neoprene suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom