Neoprene Dry Suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

couldnt u just inflate one with the left hand and the other with the right? Seeing that u dont have anything in your right hand..

Please explain a little more..

Thanks,

jepuskar:
couldnt u just inflate one with the left hand and the other with the right? Seeing that u dont have anything in your right hand..

Please explain a little more..

Thanks,

Because if you are holding a line with your right hand (during a descent/ascent)
you do not want to let go the line. If you can control bouyancy, ear clear, etc.
with the left hand your right is free to maintain contact with the line.

yknot:
I also dive a neoprene suit and have found that with proper weighting I never need to add air to my BC. This isn't a decision I made as to whether to use the BC or not- it just works that way for me.
I agree. If you are diving a normal sized single tank, no stage bottles, etc and are properly weighted there is virtually never a need to add air to the BC or wing. Proper weighting in my opinion pretty much makes the BC versus suit for boyancy control issue a moot point for most recreational divers.

While this won't make me popular, I have to tell you a couple of things.

First, the change in bouyancy is one of the reasons to stay away from neoprene drysuits (if you really want one, it should be crushed). This problem does not happen with trilam suits. I'm sure that this doesn't make you feel any better now that you have spent the money, however, thems the facts.

Second, the drysuit keeps you dry. The wing keeps you neutral. You only add enough gas to the suit to keep from getting squeeze. Use the wing for keeping neutral. Only in the event of a wing failure do you use the suit as a substitute.

Last, you should remain horizontal once underwater. This will keep the gas from burping out of your neck seal (in the event that you have a wing failure and need to use the suit as a backup).

One more thing: it does get better with practice and time. :wink: You'll get it.

ScubaDadMiami:
While this won't make me popular, I have to tell you a couple of things.

First, the change in bouyancy is one of the reasons to stay away from neoprene drysuits (if you really want one, it should be crushed). This problem does not happen with trilam suits. I'm sure that this doesn't make you feel any better now that you have spent the money, however, thems the facts..
Well..them may be the facts but it ain't the truth. I was duly indoctrinated by DUI advertising in the mid 80's and used Trilams for years until I borrowed a neoprene suit. Now I'd never go back.

In my extensive dry suit experience, you do not need to add any more air to a neoprene drysuit than you do to a trilam. You may have some suit compression at depth in a neoprene suit, but you can generally have less air in a neoprene suit to start with as they do not squeeze you nearly as badly. And while neoprene compresses with depth, it compresses a lot less than the extra air you need for reasonable comfort in a trilam. Then you also have all the extra air that is in the heavier undergarments in a trilam that also compresses with depth requiring more air to be added. I've dove both and believe it or not, you end up adding less air, less often in a neoprene suit.

It's one of those issues where if a diver has not actually dove both a trilam and a modern neoprene suit, he or she is really not qualified to comment. I know because I was guilty of parroting the same anti-neoprene propaganda for years until I was literally forced by circumstance to dive a neoprene suit. The truth is that neoprene suits don't suck even if DUI says they do.

Second, the drysuit keeps you dry. The wing keeps you neutral. You only add enough gas to the suit to keep from getting squeeze. Use the wing for keeping neutral. Only in the event of a wing failure do you use the suit as a substitute.
It's a matter of perspective. If you are properly weighted in a properly fitting dry suit diving a single 80 sized tank with no stage bottles, cannister lights etc, it's a moot point as the air in the suit will be adequate to establish neutral bouyancy with a near empty tank. And if the suit fits properly, the air required for neutral bouyancy will not be excessive even with a full tank. Once you start adding weight in the form of lights, stage bottles, increased swing weight due to doubles, etc. you need to carry air in the wing. But basically carrying air in the wing is not required until you reach a point where carrying the neccesary air in the suit affects stability.

It's one of those hot button issues where people get stuck on adhering to a particular philosophy rather than focusing on practical application. There are very few situations in life or diving where the words "always" or "never" do not set off alarm bells and the words "you always use the wing for bouyancy" is not one of them.

Last, you should remain horizontal once underwater. This will keep the gas from burping out of your neck seal (in the event that you have a wing failure and need to use the suit as a backup).
Personally, I do a lot of work underwater and it often requires me to be more or less vertical. I prefer a neck seal that does not burp when vertical as otherwise your options are to be excessively squeezed, or wet, or both. If you have a neck seal that burps every time you go vertical with a normal amount of air in the suit, you have a poorly fitting neck seal. If you are working underwater in a vertical position for extended periods, extra air in the suit is nice as it takes some of the squeeze off your feet and keeps you warmer and more comfortable. Given a choice, I'd take a snug fitting and folded under neoprene neck seal over anything else available in a recreational suit.

I also do not ascribe to the "carry only enough air in the suit to eliminate the worst of the squeeze" school of thought. Compressed insulation makes for a cold suit and adding a little air to the suit is both warmer and more comfortable (although neoprene suits have the advantage here as they are both warmer and more comfortable with a given amount of air in the suit. If the extra air needed to eliminate all the squeeze and keep you warm causes control problems, you have issues with a poorly fitting suit more than you do with excessive air. Minority point of view maybe, but then "cold water" here means under 40 degrees.

DA Aquamaster:
It's one of those issues where if a diver has not actually dove both a trilam and a modern neoprene suit, he or she is really not qualified to comment. I know because I was guilty of parroting the same anti-neoprene propaganda for years until I was literally forced by circumstance to dive a neoprene suit. The truth is that neoprene suits don't suck even if DUI says they do.

Minority point of view maybe, but then "cold water" here means under 40 degrees.

I agree.

I've dove both types of suits and never had a problem with the neoprene. Indeed, several divers I know and respect use neoprene precisely because of its alleged "suckiness" and they are cold water divers.

Anywho, what's "most" important is how well the suit fits and does it keep you dry. Be aware of the benefits (or not) and make your choice according to what will keep you warmest and driest.

DA Aquamaster:
DA- your response is one of the most intelligent I've read concerning the debate. I would add that dry suits are a very good example of the compromises and choices you have to make when you buy equipment to suit your environment, in spite of where the rest of the herd is headed. If I were diving something like caves and could expect consistant 60 degree water for a two hour dive I would have probably bought a shell suit. I bought my suit specifically for local winter diving. In the middle of January, when the water is <35 degrees, and one of my dive buddies is putting on what amounts to a snowmobile suit for his shell suit, I'm wearing the same thin lightweight $20 polypro set I use until wetsuit season. The only negative thing about my neoprene suit is that with an attached hood I can't set the neck seal by myself and only others experienced with neoprene can. I've tried DUI suits and wouldn't degrade them- they appear to be well made and have legions of fans that have nothing bad to say about them. I would probably be bragging about my suit more if I would have paid that kind of money for it too. I've lost count too of the times someone in a shell suit walks up shivering and says "Well.....How do you like that neoprene suit?

Hi Jepuskar :D
Remember, at the end of the day, a drysuit doesn't really have the lift capacity that a BCD does. I teach all my Drysuit classes that BCD is always for buoyancy and the drysuit inflator is for equalising the air space in your suit. i.e suit squeeze.

Hope this helps!

SF

ScubaFreak:
Hi Jepuskar :D
Remember, at the end of the day, a drysuit doesn't really have the lift capacity that a BCD does. I teach all my Drysuit classes that BCD is always for buoyancy and the drysuit inflator is for equalising the air space in your suit. i.e suit squeeze.

Hope this helps!

SF
First of all, I don't know that anyone said they did. If you want to add to the debate concerning dry suit vs BC for bouyancy control there are several other threads that follow that path. I can't think of a reason to even consider the lift capacity of a dry suit unless you are using it as a wearable lift bag. With neoprene dry suits you don't add air to stay ahead of the squeeze. I have emptied my suit of air at 100' and can still manuever just fine in it and any squeeze I felt wasn't the same painful pinching you would feel with a shell suit. You only need to add air to neoprene suits in an amount sufficient to fluff your thermals and trap a little air in them. If you are diving with a neoprene suit and need to add any more than a small amount of air to control your bouyancy and fluff your undergarments than you are likely overweighted. Incidently, while I would never personally add enough air to my dry suit to burp out of the seal, say while trying to move something heavy off the bottom, I can tell you that dry suits most definately have significantly more lift capacity than a BC.

Get properly weighted and you wont be adding a lot of air to your BC or your Drysuit. Get into a lake or calm waters and keep adding or removing a pound until you can sink with no air in your lungs and suit and BC.

Add 4-5 lbs from fresh to salt water or subtract vise versa. Make a log of weights used and gear and clothing worn and tank used. Keep it up and youll get the weight down pat.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom