Neo seal vs Latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need some advise on drysuit neck seals. Neo or Latex? Which one and why or why not.. Anybody got any opinions?? Thanks

Oh yeah.... you bet I have an opinion!

I finally bit the bullet and tried a neoprene neck seal on my older drysuit. Compared to the latex I had been using, I loved it! No leaks, much more comfortable in that it doesn't feel as tight around my neck. It also doesn't leave my neck looking like a suicide attempt by hanging or murder attempt by ligature (yes I was asked :11: ) Another big plus for me is the warmness... no shock of coldness on my neck when I entered the water and my neck and upper chest seems to stay warm longer.

Then I got a screaming deal on ebay - a new Diving Concepts ultraflex pro that fits me better than the original custom suit.... for $300. So the older suit has become the backup. Unfortunately, it has a latex seal :frown: I figured I would wait until the original seal failed, then switch to neoprene.... But after being reminded again yesterday of how cold 35F water feels on my neck, I've decided to go ahead and get it done during an upcoming trip to Seattle.

The only disadvantage I've found so far is that it's more difficult to don and doff, but after about a dozen dives it seemed to get easier.

Snowbear,
I've just bought a new suit with a neoprene neck seal (having had a latex neck seal previously) any tips on don/doff?

Since I haven't got my suit yet I don't know what it'll be like but when I tried it in the shop the neoprene was soooooooo nice ! :) Comfy - that said, I never had an issue with my previous neck seal. My buddy got the same suit as me but went for the latex neck seal. Yeah and one more thing I went for a latex wrist seal with neoprene over the top of it - again should be interesting when I get the suit .... I'm getting excited just thinking about it ..... :)

Snowbear:
Unfortunately, it has a latex seal :frown: I figured I would wait until the original seal failed, then switch to neoprene.... But after being reminded again yesterday of how cold 35F water feels on my neck, I've decided to go ahead and get it done during an upcoming trip to Seattle.

I don't blame you,I go ahead and change it too. When a latex neck seal lets go,it usually is a tear,and unless you have a backup suit handy,that means no diving.

I'm in my first DS and it has neoprene neck and wrist seals (Atlan 7mm) I'm very happy comfort wise and am amazed at how warm my hands are staying in wet gauntlet 5mm gloves in 40F water.

The rolled in neck seal gives the hood something substantial to marry to.

Nothing lasts forever but I suppose if a seal were to tear I'd have at least a chance of making a temporary fix with neoprene cement.

Looking at buddies latex seals they may have a bit more freedom of neck movement but I could be wrong.

Pete

My comments aren't worth much on this since I have only ever dived a latex seal, but I will say that for the past 200 dives my DUI latex seal has treated me well. They're a little frustrating until you get them cut correctly and then it's a trivial matter to don/doff. I don't end up with any weird marks on my neck and I feel pretty comfortable spending the whole day in my suit as long as the weather isn't too warm.

One thing missed is that prior to a dive if your neoprene neck seal is a bit snug slide it over a AL80 at night, and make sure to roll a cuff in aroud your neck 1" min this keeps the air burp out.
Neoprene is a good seal and warm in cold waters,Latex if cut right can fit nice too.
My choice after I have did dives in both is Latex makes great wrist seals.
Brad

How often do neoprene seals need to be replaced on average?
I've only heard that they need to be replaced/repaired by the factory
but not what actually causes them to tear. Do they only tear or get damaged after many many cycles of use?

So far I've only rented latex sealed drysuits but I'm going to see if I can find a neoprene sealed rental to try before I buy.

Thanks

Unlike the others I'm not happy with my neoprene neck seal. My suit was an ebay special (but brand new) Bare Trilam HD. It has fold under neoprene neck and wrist seals.

The wrist seals are just about ok unless I do so extreme excursions with my hands/wrists.

However the neck is a different story. I've done a grand total of 5 drysuit dives ( 3 outdoors and 2 pool dives), and every time I've got wet, primarily water running down my back. The problem seems to have become worse as the seal has stretched a bit.

Note that I didn't do anything to overstretch the seal, and I followed the donning instructions to the letter.

In particular I notice that when I tip my head forward (usually to look at my SPG, which is clipped to the left D ring on my Transpac), I get a shot of water down the back of my neck.

I've come to the conclusion that skinny people and these seals don't seem to mix too well (I'm 6' and 175 lbs). At the moment the only things I can think of are either changing it out for a latex seal or cutting a chunk out of the neck seal and rebonding it to tighten it up. I've read of some people using bungee or shock cord to tighten the seal, but that seems a bit dangerous to me (if the cord fails).

Any comments gratefully received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom