Nekton Rorqual runs aground in Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin - you are too predictible, you come running in defense EVERYTIME.

I can't find stories for either of these here or via google. Show me some links.

thank you. :D
Here is the incident I am referring to:
Sapien's Stories
read down to the section "thrilling conclusion".

The point I am making is that sometimes things happen. No operation is perfect, weather cannot be predicted or controlled, it is best to accept issues and make the best of all situations.

robin:D

thank you. :D
Here is the incident I am referring to:
Sapien's Stories
read down to the section "thrilling conclusion".

The point I am making is that sometimes things happen. No operation is perfect, weather cannot be predicted or controlled, it is best to accept issues and make the best of all situations.

Interesting read, I'd never come across that before and I don't think it was posted here.
I fully agree with you, things DO happen, even to good ships. It just seems to me the Nekton boats have had a bad run going for the last couple years.

And then there's the Wave Dancer.....oh wait, that's a PH boat, not Aggressor. :wink: Oh wait, didn't the ThorFinn hit a reef in Micronesia? Crumb, again not an Aggressor boat.....

Spit happens everywhere, you know?

I got a PM here a few days ago telling me why Rorqual had been grounded in San Juan.

I wanted confirmation of what and a few phone calls later to USCG San Juan, I spoke with Warrant Officer Hernandez who stated the Rorqual was kept in port because a spot inspection revealed a "significant exhaust leak that could enter passenger space" and an "inoperable propulsion unit" (only one engine would run).

Those are the facts from the USCG.

I just got off the Rorqual this Saturday - we had spent a week in St. Croix and it was my first live aboard. The boat and the crew were wonderful - the only problem was the hot tub wasn't working, but I didn't really miss it.

When we came into port, the Pilot was there and we tied up along side - offering some cool comparison opportunities.

I took a picture of the anchor for those who were wondering. :)

Click here to see the Picasa album with pictures of the Nekton Rorqual and the Rorqual tied up to the Pilot at the end of the album.

Trip report to come - stay tuned.

PC

Here's the anchor:

Nekton2008_111.jpg

I just got off the Rorqual this Saturday - we had spent a week in St. Croix and it was my first live aboard. The boat and the crew were wonderful - the only problem was the hot tub wasn't working, but I didn't really miss it.

When we came into port, the Pilot was there and we tied up along side - offering some cool comparison opportunities.

I took a picture of the anchor for those who were wondering. :)

Click here to see the Picasa album with pictures of the Nekton Rorqual and the Rorqual tied up to the Pilot at the end of the album.

Trip report to come - stay tuned.

PC

looks like you had a great trip, can't wait to read your report as there have been so few regarding the St.Croix itinerary. Nice to see Eric is still there - he was a new trainee on our trip back in April. Very nice guy and he was really excited about working on the Nekton! Who was the capt for your trip? Tucker? When you do your trip report, let us know what you thought about the diving. Hmmm.... "swirling reef of death" sounds like an interesting dive! :wink:

So it was running on one engine all this time after all. Seems contradictory to be out running trips but when the Coast Guard see's it they ground the boat. All water under the bridge now, but...

So, Pseudocyber, did you get to the North side of St Croix or Vieques? Pictures seem to show Cane Bay (North side).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom