Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But didn't two crew members leave the boat BEFORE the drug test was administered? Something about "family emergencies"?

A little coincidental that a drug test is coming on Monday morning (which apparently was known to the entire crew) and suddenly two different crew members EACH have family emergencies that require them to leave the boat on Sunday night?

:shakehead:

In fairness, I think the two that left were a "couple."

That being said, I agree that this is way too coicidental. I also find it interesting that if those two were using drugs, that no one else on the crew knew about it. I know I sound like a broken record when I say there are no secrets on a boat, but I can't overemphasize this point. Most people who have never lived on a boat for an extended period of time probably don't understand what a tight knit community it actually is. The fact that a crew member was using onboard and know one else knew does not sound very realistic to me.

Last edited:
there was no sign of the bong ever having pot smoked out of it. which if i'm not mistaken it is not considered "paraphenalia" unless there is some indication of drugs being used. which there wasnt.

Absolutely correct and this is why paraphenalia can be sold in the open market. Until you actually smoke pot with it, a bong is just a "single stem flower vase".

Perhaps it was planted just to stir up some $4!#.....

i actually happen to know the 2 very well that left on sunday night, and even ended up staying with them we we got kicked off in themiddle of the night left on an island that turns extremely dangerous with gangs and these 2 picked us up at the dock nd took us back to where they were staying. They were the two oldest crew members (in age and seniority) and both were extremely upset about there being a bong on board. The female had made excuses for a while on why not to go home to her family while she has a family member who is extremely sick. when we stayed with them that night i had spoke to her about wht went on and she said to me that the sneakiness of the captain not confronting the crew but telling his girlfriend on the boat was the straw that broke the camels back. Way to coincidental, maybe. but i happened to know about the family crisis for weeks. Beleive what you want but those two took there job more seriously than anyone on the boat including the captain. And i think its extremely disgusting that while they're dealing with crisis in a family and potentially losing a family member your wasting your time trying to ruin these 2 on scubaboard.

i actually happen to know the 2 very well that left on sunday night, and even ended up staying with them we we got kicked off in themiddle of the night left on an island that turns extremely dangerous with gangs and these 2 picked us up at the dock nd took us back to where they were staying. They were the two oldest crew members (in age and seniority) and both were extremely upset about there being a bong on board. The female had made excuses for a while on why not to go home to her family while she has a family member who is extremely sick. when we stayed with them that night i had spoke to her about wht went on and she said to me that the sneakiness of the captain not confronting the crew but telling his girlfriend on the boat was the straw that broke the camels back. Way to coincidental, maybe. but i happened to know about the family crisis for weeks. Beleive what you want but those two took there job more seriously than anyone on the boat including the captain. And i think its extremely disgusting that while they're dealing with crisis in a family and potentially losing a family member your wasting your time trying to ruin these 2 on scubaboard.

Nice appeal to sympathy. I know other crew members who had never heard of the "family emergency" up until the day the bong was found. They did hear a lot about them complaining about all the BS on the boat. They still could have taken the drug test. Maybe when they had been on vacation a couple of weeks earlier and their belongings were stored in the laundry room (which they were), the bong fell out. Maybe that is why they were upset about a bong being found onboard.

I'm confused as to why people are still arguing over the "drug problem". Not a single person had been caught smoking pot, not a single person has confessed to smoking pot and not a single person has any evidence to prove that there had even been pot smoking on board in the first place. You can't prove it was anybody that quit the boat because for all you know the owner of the bong can still be working on board.

My point is that everyone keeps blowing this out of proportion. As I stated earlier the Drug Test had NO DIRECT influence on anyone leaving the boat. No one was upset that they had to take the test, no one denied taking the test and thus far no one has failed the test. Stop arguing over this.

Instead why not ask yourself, What can I learn from all of this? What can I do differently than this Captain to make things work? How can I avoid a situation like this?

If you have any questions about what transpired that week go to page 8 and read my post.

I'm confused as to why people are still arguing over the "drug problem". Not a single person had been caught smoking pot, not a single person has confessed to smoking pot and not a single person has any evidence to prove that there had even been pot smoking on board in the first place. You can't prove it was anybody that quit the boat because for all you know the owner of the bong can still be working on board.

My point is that everyone keeps blowing this out of proportion. As I stated earlier the Drug Test had NO DIRECT influence on anyone leaving the boat. No one was upset that they had to take the test, no one denied taking the test and thus far no one has failed the test. Stop arguing over this.

Instead why not ask yourself, What can I learn from all of this? What can I do differently than this Captain to make things work? How can I avoid a situation like this?

If you have any questions about what transpired that week go to page 8 and read my post.

hey, i agree, lets forget about the drug topic. any of the DMs drinking in their cabins?

i can see why you are not captain of the rorqual anymore, for the same reason the captain now does not deserve to be. You are narrow minded. you beleive only what your "source" tells you. when your source doesnt even know what happened. Theres no way you can have a legitement source the only people who know what really happened are off the boat. everyone else is trying to stick together and seem innocent to keep the company from going under. i helped unload there stuff. it was not being stored in the laundry room at all. nothing gets stored in the laundry room, except cleaning supllies. considering the "single stem flower vase" was wrapped in a guest towel and tucked away neatinly between the washer and water heater i find it hard to beleive has fallen out of a suit case.

Nice appeal to sympathy. I know other crew members who had never heard of the "family emergency" up until the day the bong was found. They did hear a lot about them complaining about all the BS on the boat. They still could have taken the drug test. Maybe when they had been on vacation a couple of weeks earlier and their belongings were stored in the laundry room (which they were), the bong fell out. Maybe that is why they were upset about a bong being found onboard.

Being her "Back-up" on Board I know for a fact that she did have a very sick family member. She had talked to me about it the Friday before the week the bong was found(As I am her replacement).

As you said they did complain about the BS on the boat, they were both quite furious over it. Couple that with the possible loss of a family member and then can you blame them for leaving? Have you ever been to that point where you just can't take another minute of something? I have. Theres no doubt in my mind that had they left later in the week it would not have been so Gracefully. So why Put these 2 down when in fact how and when they left turned out to be a much better situation than the others.

What I'm saying is when you have that much animosity towards other crew members it's better for everyone if you just leave, instead of staying on board and letting that tension grow.

hey, i agree, lets forget about the drug topic. any of the DMs drinking in their cabins?
that was months ago and those 4 were terminated immediately. the rest of the crew was breathalized and came out clean.

Being her "Back-up" on Board I know for a fact that she did have a very sick family member. She had talked to me about it the Friday before the week the bong was found(As I am her replacement).

As you said they did complain about the BS on the boat, they were both quite furious over it. Couple that with the possible loss of a family member and then can you blame them for leaving? Have you ever been to that point where you just can't take another minute of something? I have. Theres no doubt in my mind that had they left later in the week it would not have been so Gracefully. So why Put these 2 down when in fact how and when they left turned out to be a much better situation than the others.

What I'm saying is when you have that much animosity towards other crew members it's better for everyone if you just leave, instead of staying on board and letting that tension grow.

I've certainly been there, both when I worked for Nekton, but also before, and also after. I am not putting the two down (I don't know them), I just honestly wish they had taken the test so they did not leave under suspicios circumstances. It would have been better for all involved. As to the family emergency, I am in no position to doubt it, but if she had known for weeks, why not wait one more day and clear their names by taking the test?

I agree with you, when things are not working out, people are stressed, morale is low, it is time to move on.

you seem like an intelligent guy. your posts are thoughtful, well written, and you offer reasonable explanations for what transpired. Hopefully you will land on your feet and find an employer who treats you right.

Back
Top Bottom