Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cappy Jon is correct.

If the Bahamas itineraries were to be considered we would certaily leave out of the Bahamas. This is not only more cost effective, but also provides more diving oppurtunities as we don't have so far to travel on our way out and back.

I know this would cost prospective clients a bit more in flights, but I feel it is the best way do run that itinerary all around.

Cappy Jon is correct.

If the Bahamas itineraries were to be considered we would certaily leave out of the Bahamas. This is not only more cost effective, but also provides more diving oppurtunities as we don't have so far to travel on our way out and back.

I know this would cost prospective clients a bit more in flights, but I feel it is the best way do run that itinerary all around.

Just my personal opinion, but I believe the itinerary that departed Great Exuma and did Rum Cay, San Salvador, Conception Island, and occasionally Long Island was by far the best itinerary they ever offered. It was do-able all year round, offered incredible diversity, great viz, schooling hammerheads (off San Sal), and a great atmosphere.

George Town, Great Exuma has grown up quite a bit since the last time Nekton operated out of there and has easier access and more amenities. Elizabeth Harbor also has a number of excellent "hurricane holes" to hide from approaching tropical storms. The most difficult thing about running in and out of Exuma is that the entrance to Elizabeth Harbor is very shallow and we had to time arrival and departure on the Pilot to correspond with the tides.

We would certainly be interested, and raising the price isn't a big issue. We loved both the Pilot and Rorqual. Medio Reef and Cay Sal Bahamas were both first class diving destinations in our opinion, we'd do either one again. I think even a Fla Keys itinerary would work, hitting all the wrecks. There is room for a liveaboard like the nekton. :D

You might want to consider do shorter trips, also. Most liveaboards only do week, Sat - Sat. I know lots of people who would prefer a 5 day, rather than 7 days.

Get the Nitrox compressor working. Having a liveaboard without nitrox is stoopid!! :no:

my biggest recommendation... change the name. You can keep the Rorqual boat name, but don't name the company Nekton - too much bad press and negative reports on the internet will hang on like stink on #@*&. :turd: Not the way to start a new company with a new owner.

robin:D

Last edited:
Get the Nitrox compressor working. Having a liveaboard with nitrox is stoopid!! :no:

with? I think you mean without. But that brings up a great point.

Since the Nekton Nitrox systems were known to be constantly having issues, what's the plan on replacing the nitrox system?

the reason I said replace was that it was fixed several times and never stayed fixed. Folks that want to do a liveaboard want nitrox and not just the "hope of it".

Even with a full boat the Nekton boats were not crowded when diving. This is because they did not require everyone on the boat to go in the water at the same time. I would much rather dive like this, than 18-20 divers in the water at once.
+1. I LOVED my Cay Sal Bank trip on the Pilot last summer. I made 27 dives, most of them solo. They let me come and go as I pleased.

If you could make Bahama itineraries that left from the states (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port of PB) I think it would be great. Those ports are so much cheaper and easier to fly to.
+1 again. There is so much good diving within a few hours' drive time from me that I don't fly to go diving anymore. I don't expect you to cater to my wishes, for heaven's sake, but if I had to fly to get to you, I probably wouldn't. And yes, I expect your departing from the USA to have the costs built into the fare.

My ONLY complaint about the trip was that they paired me up with the roommate from hell, a crazy weird OCD female doctor from Chicago. I've never seen my patience stretched so thin. But then, I didn't pay the single supplement for my own room so I guess I deserved it.

Good luck, man, I hope it works out for you! :thumb:

I am a veteran of six trips and my wife has done 5.

We did Belize 3x and loved it every time but the air fare from Chicago was nearly as much as the boat last trip. I loved Northern Bahamas. I would not go back to St Croix as the best dive was the dock. Mona was one spectacular day (Monito) and 5 ordinary days.

I went on two trips on the Pilot about 1 1/2 years ago. They were my first liveaboard trips and i thought they were great.

There were two things that I thought differentiated Nekton. I thought the utilitarian boats made more sense than other, more luxurious liveaboards and, secondly, I thought the pricing reflected that.

Others in this thread have seemed to indicate that they'd be happy to pay more. I thought Nekton was smart to be a lower cost alternative in that market. I also thought they were smart to offer a basic (but very comfortable and functional) boat. I'm not looking for terry cloth robes or massages, but I liked the good-sized rooms, and the ample space.

I think you'll be making a mistake to try to take on (price-wise) the already-established liveaboard lines. The SWATH design is unlikely to be enough to differentiate this boat from the others that already have a customer base.

You need to offer pricing somewhere between the Explorers, etc. and Blackbeard. Many people are willing to pay more than Blackbeard because they just aren't interested in "camping at sea", but if they want to pay top dollar, they'll go with someone who's already tried and true.

Whatever you do, best of luck. It's gotta be a lotta work and financial risk.

I did CEX II in May out of Great Exuma. We dived San Sal, Conception and Long Island. There is a new harbor next to the Sheraton complex and golf course. Its a $30 ride from the airport. I stayed in town at the Peace and Plenty the night before and dived with Dive Exuma Sat morning before boarding CEX II.

The week's diving was awesome and pristine. I saw my first Oceanic White Tip up close and personal. That was a rush!

Let me tell you, there still isn't much on Great Exuma but it sure looks and feels like the Bahamas used to. I'd go back there to pick up a live aboard. Its a 45 minute ride aboard a twin turbo prop from FLL.

Don

I also would love to see a option to leave from Flordia, that is one of the great things about nekton, I could drive down with my camera gear and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom