Needles For Neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belgianbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, I was out in the garment district today stocking up on notions, needles, and machine parts when the thought crossed my mind about sewing neoprene. Now I'm quite experienced at sewing heavyweight fabrics, and webbing, but my one adventure into sewing neoprene ended in disaster. So I asked the engineer at the machine shop if there were special neoprene needle, he said yes and showed me needles that were made by Organ and coated in an oily substance for heat reduction so the stitches wouldn't collapse. Is this true? I didn't buy them because they were 4.50 for 10, and I had just dropped 9 clams on my normal needles. Also I'm guessing that v-69 thread is the thread to use. On another note, I learned that a blind stitch machine can be had for about the price of a good wetsuit, it seems tempting, but I don't think I have the space for another machine stand.

You're way ahead of me as I'm just at the beginning stages of figuring out a "new" home sewing machine, a 40-year-old Kenmore.

Unfortunately, I'm no help to you.

Saw the pics of your industrial machine and was envious!

Thanks for mentioning V-69 thread, which I had been thinking of using for sewing drysuit trilaminate. That kind of confirms to me that it will be suitable. My previous attempts using a vintage 1933 cobbler's machine to install a drysuit zipper were unsuccessful. I couldn't get the stitch tension and walking foot adjusted right. (Trial and error is my game....) :D

I'm hoping to have better luck with this Kenmore.

By the way, I remember salivating over the half dozen machines at Inland Divers, a Leicester, MA, dive shop that did superb work on drysuits and wetsuits. The owner, Ero Sundstrom, demonstrated the blind stitch machine to me and I thought, "That's the only way to go on neoprene!"

His manager, Paul Bazinet, was the main sewing expert in the shop, I believe.

You might contact them and see if they would be willing to share some advice.

INLAND DIVERS - http://inlandivers.com

I'll be looking forward to hearing how you progress! Keep posting! Thanks! :)

Dave C

Hey Dave, I do most of my sewing with v-69 (v-96 for thicker stuff) on an industrial walking foot. V-69 needs quite a bit of tension, as well as strong needles. I don't know what the sized for home home machines are but I use 120/19 needles. It also requires you have a thread stand since the stuff comes in cones. There are also threads made by gore called tenara, and have superior waether resistance. I've never used it though because it is pretty pricey. One more thing when you buy your thread try to get it from a sail making supply, the normal brands are A&E, Heminway and Bartlett, and Coats Ultra Dee. All of them are bonded polyester threads that are used in sailmaking. Also by the by I've had the machine for over a year now, and I'd say if you're really into sewing industrial is the way to go. The power, the speed.....

Last edited:
Also one more thing sewing with bonded polyester is really nice because it leaves no lint. You rarely need to clean the thread path.

Back
Top Bottom