Need Wing Recs for warm water rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to make a new sidemount rig for warm water boat diving with a pair of al80's. I build my own harnesses, but I need a wing. I figure 15-20lbs of lift from the wing will be plenty. I am leaning towards the Deco 22lb sidemount bladder I saw from @DevonDiver - the price is right - but I am curious on what other wings folks have used. I would prefer having a top-of-wing dump valve, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a little warm water wing to get it.

So, anyone have a nice little sidemount wing they can recommend?

I want to make a new sidemount rig for warm water boat diving with a pair of al80's. I build my own harnesses, but I need a wing. I figure 15-20lbs of lift from the wing will be plenty. I am leaning towards the Deco 22lb sidemount bladder I saw from @DevonDiver - the price is right - but I am curious on what other wings folks have used. I would prefer having a top-of-wing dump valve, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a little warm water wing to get it.

So, anyone have a nice little sidemount wing they can recommend?
I’ve used both a Deco bladder and a cheap used XDeep Classic wing for the above purpose. You could attempt to find a Dive Rite no mount wing or pick up a cheap knockoff of a razor vía AliExpress, but DECO is probably the easiest answer.

I've had a couple good trips using a DECO "Y" harness, and a DECO bladder bungee'd tight to each tank. (Rope loop through the top grommet attached to the valve strap, bungee from the bottom grommet around the tank, and under the tank band on the far side, bungee holding the center two grommets tight around the tank). Without tanks and regs, I'm neutral in salt, so the bladders are mostly for on the surface pre/post dive. I dislike floaty Alum tanks, so I add 3 lbs compensation to the tank bands. When I start the dive I dump down to 2l air in each bladder, and by midway through the dive I'm breathing on the top of my lungs and the DECO bladders are empty.

I've had a couple good trips using a DECO "Y" harness, and a DECO bladder bungee'd tight to each tank. (Rope loop through the top grommet attached to the valve strap, bungee from the bottom grommet around the tank, and under the tank band on the far side, bungee holding the center two grommets tight around the tank). Without tanks and regs, I'm neutral in salt, so the bladders are mostly for on the surface pre/post dive. I dislike floaty Alum tanks, so I add 3 lbs compensation to the tank bands. When I start the dive I dump down to 2l air in each bladder, and by midway through the dive I'm breathing on the top of my lungs and the DECO bladders are empty.
Or you could learn how to dive aluminum cylinders and keep one MSR bag around you like it was intended…

Could do a lot of things, including take the SMS100 dual with, but the objective here is a complete redundant sidemount rig that fits in an airline carry on with room left over for a few clothes and a ditty bag. Two MSR on the harness take longer LP and inflator hoses. Adding weights and sliding O-rings to the harness is in keeping with DIR, but bungee-ing a 3lb-er to the tank band is simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom