Need to visually inspect pony after flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a pony bottle to Key Largo in 2004. The dive shop new I had flown with the bottle and the valve was off for TSA inspection. I screwed the valve on, the hydro and vip dates were checked and the bottle filled.

Honestly, has anyone ever seen a dive shop actually check the air pressure in an "empty" tank before filling it?

Yes, frequently.

You can't plug it; as I recall the TSA bulletin which is not handy right now. TSA wants to be able to see inside. I would just use some clear packing tape over the opening to keep clothes lint etc. out.

Technically this is correct. But I have yet to have a TSA inspector get bent over having a plug in there.

Honestly, has anyone ever seen a dive shop actually check the air pressure in an "empty" tank before filling it?

Most shops that I have had fills at will at least crack the valve to blow out dust or water before hooking up the whip. Some will even look at their filler gauge after hooking up the tank and opening the tank valve but before they open the fill valve. Either one will tell them if the tank was dead empty.

In the last 40 years, I have never had a shop put a test gauge on a tank before hooking up the fill.

Due to the potential issue with the plug I just use tape.

I have never had an issue of somebody asking for a new VIP after I have out the valve on. But that does not mean it will not happen some time down the road.

Due to the potential issue with the plug I just use tape.

I have never had an issue of somebody asking for a new VIP after I have out the valve on. But that does not mean it will not happen some time down the road.

Tape, and never asked. Of course, I always screw valve back on BEFORE arriving at dive shop.:D

A pony is the best buddy available when you travel solo and are given a human buddy on the boat.:wink:

Why not just rent one rather than dealing with the hassel of taking it along..and dealing with TSA. As for needing a vis, it's not likely anyone will even notice it is empty as long as you don't tell them. Honestly, has anyone ever seen a dive shop actually check the air pressure in an "empty" tank before filling it? As long as the vis and hydro are good, ask to have it filled and don't volunteer any unnecessary information.....Don't ask, don't tell.

If you need to, it is quite easy to get enough pressure into an empty tank to avoid an unnecessary vis. You will need a second regulator, a wrench and a tank with at least a couple hundred psi. With the wrench, remove the LPI connector from your BC inflator. (Will not work with an octo/inflator and a very few std inflators.) Threading is a 3/8 LP connector which you need to screw into an LP port on the second regulator. Now attach a regulator to each tank and connect the two with the LP inflator hose to the LP inflator connection. Open the valves and the empty tank will receive about 130 psi - enough to pass any shop that may check for pressure.:lotsalove:

An easier method is to just hold the values of a full and the pony bottle together face to face. Open the pony bottle then open the full bottle and let gas blow into the pony. Close the pony bottle then close the full cylinder. I can get somewhere around 50 psi into pony by doing this.

I call this the poor man's whip.

I've been thinking about this issue, and I was planning on putting a small pony in a clear sealed plastcic bag (Oversized zip lock) for the flight. It keeps everything out plus the TSA can look into the bottle without opening the bag. What do you think?

Here's TSA's ruling on cylinders

from TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

Compressed Gas Cylinders
Travel Assistant

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

Please note: Many of the seals/regulators used in paintball are not designed to be removed from their cylinder by the end user. The seal/regulator should only be removed and reinstalled by a factory trained technician.

Passengers considering air travel with a compressed air or CO2 system would be advised to contact its manufacturer for guidance in locating a qualified technician, or to consider shipping the system to their destination via a parcel service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom