Need to visually inspect pony after flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup - Read the rule. That is why I thought the bag thing would be the ticket. Valve removed, they still can see in, nothing able to get into your tank.

We avoid any problem on both ends by bringing our own whip to fill from, but no one in the Carrebean has ever asked for VIP. I am sure if I brought an empty tank to my LDS that they would insist on a VIP.

My LDS filled my empty pony after a trip, and they are sticklers, but for what reason? If they know you purchased your brand spanking new AL80's from ScubaToys, then they are mad, and want to punish you! :D

They do so by saying, this tank is empty (even if it's OBVIOUS it's brand spanking new!), so it requires a vis. $20 please, and that will *teach* you! What it teaches you is to find another dive op to fill new tanks!

But a pony is generally expected to travel, and even though my Pony was purchased from ScubaToys, my LDS took one look, realized it was not new, and filled it without question

The only place I have flown with my little pony is FL, so domestic.

I had no issues getting it filled in FL (however I know the DiveOp owner, and more importantly, he knows me!). I also had no issues getting filled upon arrival back home. I know a LOT of divers that have no issue flying or filling pony's. The DiveOps understand and generally appreciate the justification for a pony, and the reason it was empty on arrival.

The main reason empty tanks are required to get a new vis is because in that state they are prone to corrosion. Since ponys are only empty for a very short period most fill shops take a quick glance inside, and proceed with the fill. Make sure you get the op to do a bit more than hand tighten the valve. Mine was only hand tightened in FL, and it had a slow leak. After two weeks it had lost close to 1000 psi in pressure, and I had to refill it.

My buddy flew to Coz three times last year, and had no issue flying, or getting his pony filled filled using Frontier, and Continental airlines.

Rules can change at any time for any stupid reason, so always check TSA regs first. I'd print them out in fact just in case you need to prove the *legality* of your packing! :eyebrow:

Has anyone flown on United with a pony bottle? Their website seems to indicate that there would be a $85 charge to include a tank in checked luggage.

$85 bucks to carry a tank/pony? For $100 to $115 (not including 10% off) you can buy one from an online vendor (scubatoys, etc), have them ship it to you there. Then for $10 to $15 bucks more ship it back home when done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom