Need to replace my fins...need some input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been some great info and I appreciate it but I got some great news this morning-someone responded to my 'Lost Fin post' and they have it...so now I will keep my current fins but probably buy some spring straps so this will not happen again...I also owe that guy a beer.

The Mares Avanti Quattros feel a lot longer on your feet than the Jet-type fins such as the OMS Slipstreams and AQ Rockets, assuming you get a size smaller than XL. All this means is that it's a bit easier to wave your feet sideways. The Jet fins will feel just a tad more maneuverable if you were to put your hands on the ground and spin yourself around.

In my experience they work pretty similar, with the Jet fins feeling more stiff and giving you more thrust, assuming you have the leg strength to keep up. How they feel underwater is where the difference comes in. So in this case if you have the funds, get the fin that you're most comfortable in.

---------- Post Merged at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:24 AM ----------

opps. I guess everything went well then.

The Dive Rites sound good.

This is what I liked about the Mares. Probably the most important thing is that I am use to it (been diving it for years). I 'feel' like it creates a lot of power but a lot of that might be mental (I can picture the fin folding up and moving the water when i think about how it is designed and so it gives me confidence). I don't like that they sink but I feel like I have my trim down pretty good right now. I am not sure how much a change in fin would effect things but I struggled to get out of being tail heavy for awhile.

I took the rocket fins back-they were just so heavy. I'll have to consider some of these others as well now. I just need something for warm water diving, something that I could take the fundamentals class with and something that gives me power when I need it, honestly, I usually kick in a very slow manner. I am not racing when I get under water but I do dive in the ocean so sometimes I have to deal with current.

If you found the rockets heavy then you'd probably think the same of the Jets and F1s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom