Need to replace my fins...need some input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I lost a fin this weekend -size 'L'eft avanti quatro...or it may have been size XL (Extra Left)...size is not important I am told...often.

I need to replace the fins. I am thinking of doing a fundementals class down the road so I need to factor that in, as well as price.

I bought some aqualung rockets as an impulse buy because I thought I would be doing a dive that evening...now I am thinking I will take them back.

I like the avantis, If I bought another set (which i would have to order on line) I would have a spare fin. I am use to the way they feel and just recently got my tank and weight positioned so my feet aren't dragging the ground. I think this fin is OK for the fundementals class but it is the most expensive.

I looked (online) at OMS Monoprene Slipstream Fins and i could get those with spring straps cheaper then the avantis but I don't know anything about them (never used a fin of that design before)

I could keep the aqualung rockets but they did not give me the same feel as the avantis. I am not sure if they give as much thrust or if it is just a different feeling. I also felt tired after using them but I had just come from a dive so...maybe that had somethign to do with it.

So what or the pros/cons and is there somethign else I should look at as well?

Thanks

If you are looking at a blade fin like the OMS, them the Hollis F1 is a much better fin. They come with spring straps, I would recomend them. I can send you a pair.

If you are just going to send them then I'll take them but if you are selling them then I would want a little more info then "is a much better fin"

:)

I have Scubapro jets, Hollis f1 and oms slipstreams. I use my SB's for cold open water for their power and slight negativity, the slipstreams for single tank sidemount/back mount as well as pool instruction because they are light, powerful and bulletproof.....my f1' s are back at the shop because they were too heavy for light diving and too small of foot pocket for my drysuit boots. They are a powerful fin, slightly negative and a good alternative to jets or slipstreams if they are cheap enough. Just my 2 cents.

It really depends on why you like the Mares fins.

I own Jets and Dive Rite EXPs -- I find I'm diving the Dive Rite fins all the time. For the same foot pocket size, the blade is about 2 1/2 inches longer, and I seem to get a lot more power out of them. They come with springs for $129, which is only a little less than the Mares fins when I looked them up, but the Mares fins don't come with springs.

If you need something heavier to keep yourself from being feet-light with a head-heavy tank setup, something like Jets or F1s is a better choice. They are stiffer than the plastic fins, though.

The Dive Rites sound good.

This is what I liked about the Mares. Probably the most important thing is that I am use to it (been diving it for years). I 'feel' like it creates a lot of power but a lot of that might be mental (I can picture the fin folding up and moving the water when i think about how it is designed and so it gives me confidence). I don't like that they sink but I feel like I have my trim down pretty good right now. I am not sure how much a change in fin would effect things but I struggled to get out of being tail heavy for awhile.

I took the rocket fins back-they were just so heavy. I'll have to consider some of these others as well now. I just need something for warm water diving, something that I could take the fundamentals class with and something that gives me power when I need it, honestly, I usually kick in a very slow manner. I am not racing when I get under water but I do dive in the ocean so sometimes I have to deal with current.

I've got an xtra pair of Avanti Quatros [xl's] i don't use any more....Use F1's mostly.......Think I have xtra spring straps too...Depending on where you are [shipping] let me know......

Since you are looking for a lighter fin with a spring strap, you should give the Scubapro Nova a spin.

It is very light weight and comes with a very comfortable foot pocket and a bungee strap.

BTW, I used to love the quatros.

Well, the OP mentioned he wants to take GUE Fundamentals, and the Novas are not satisfactory for that. The "posts" that connect the front to the blade of the fin are a failure point (and do fail), and the contour of the fin is a line trap. They are also not the greatest fins for frog and back kicking (interestingly, back kicking is easier than frog kicking in them!).

I like Mares Quattros quite a bit. I noticed Scuba Diving Magazine Tested the Hollis F1 and the OMS Slipstreams. The did well but none tested better than the Apollo Biofins!

I have been watching these fin debates for a decade now. My thought has always been dive what your comfortable with. I like and and own:

1) Apollo Biofins. Very comfortable, great fin for all kicks but heavy. My go to fin.

2) Mares Quattros Excel. Comfortable, paddle style and easy kicking.

3) APS Manata Ray - Comfortable and lightweight for traveling.

4) Force Fins - Not as comfortable as the rest due to hard material the fin is made from. Different and takes some getting used to but dives well. Light for travel.

There is no wrong answer. There are those that will preach on fins, often they are big Jetfin bigots and paddle fin advocates for sure. The reality is the difference between high performance and low performance is about .3 miles per hour. IOW Not much. We suck UW compared to most things that swim. A dolphin cruises at over 20mph, we do 2mph with fins. I think comfort is key. Do not buy a fin where the foot pocket is uncomfortable or one that cramps your legs. Jets are famous for leg cramps and uncomfortable foot pockets however lot of divers like them. In fact my best friend and close dive buddy dives jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom