Need to purchase snorkel gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachguy

Reaction score
I'm a female newbie going to Belize. Any suggestions for a mask and snorkel for myself? There are so many brands. Is a flexible tube the best idea? I'll be snorkeling, not scuba diving. Thanks.

Forget about individual brands and models. Be sceptical when reading claims that a particular mask will fit everybody or "almost everybody". The best choice you can make is when you come to your own conclusion about what is best for you. When you shop for masks, be sure to try on a variety of masks and check that they fit your facial dimensions as closely as possible. Press the mask skirts against your face, inhale lightly through your nose to create a partial vacuum and verify whether the mask stays in place on your face without attaching the straps. If so, the mask is likely to be a reasonable fit. Masks that don't fit properly are likely to leak, which can be a real irritation when snorkelling. Masks with softer skirts are more comfortable to wear and have a greater area of contact with the face, making a better seal. I still have an oval mask from the 1960s with soft rubber skirts and it's still the best-sealing mask for my face. That, of course, doesn't mean it would accommodate your facial dimensions well too. Everybody's different.

As for a snorkel, for what it's worth, I prefer nowadays a simple, gimmick-free, "J"-shaped tube, open at one end and a soft mouthpiece at the other. There's less to go wrong. This is the design that Bill Barada, the inventor of the first rubber diving snorkel, came up with in the early 1950s. Over the years, various attempts have been made to improve this basic design, from the early ping-pong balls in small rubber cages to the "dry snorkels" of today and each new design has its admirers, but Barada's classic "J"-shaped design has remained in production throughout. You, however, will have to make up your own mind about which snorkel suits your needs. Finding out which snorkel - or mask - best meets your needs is something of a personal odyssey that nobody can complete for you. Good luck!

+1 Fit is the most important thing.

On snorkels, I disagree, a bit with Mr. Wilson, depending on your knowlege & skill swith a snorkel. If you are proficeint & comfortable with clearing a snorkel, then a regular one will do fine. If not, you may want to look at a dry snorkel. The valves are made to close off & prevent water from coming into the tube thus reducing the need to clear the snorkel. Be aware that if it closes off to water, it will alaso close off to air. You may also want to take some snorkeling lessons from an instructor or get with a freind who can mentor you a little. This will help make you more comfortable & confident in the water.

As a female snorkeler, I find that the youth size mask fits better than anything else I have tried. I have a dry snorkel that I just love since it is so easy to clear if needed, and again a youth size has a smaller mouth piece.

Where in Belize will you be traveling? We were there this past May and loved it!

Dry snorkels may close off too often interfering with breathing.

The best bet for a new snorkeler may be a semi-dry snorkel. I think the die hard "get a simple J-tube" is not good advice. It is not fun swallowing saltwater. The term "gimmick" may be incorrectly used by some since all major manufactures have for years marketed snorkel lines with top divertor and lower J-tube purge valve/divertor. Wiki "gimmick" for correct usage.

I use these
Tusa Platina II Hyperdry Snorkel (SP-170)

Aqua Lung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel

The TUSA model I listed is a very dry breathing snorkel with a top divertor if wavelets wash over head. The Aqua Lung Impulse 3 is a humongous snorkel with a comfo-bite mouth piece - best selling snorkel on the market. The mouthpiece can be important since snorkelers and freedivers may spend several hours on the water compared to SCUBA divers. Woman use both models I listed. But a mouthpiece that is too big or irritates the gums is uncomfortable, so they may not work for you. The flexible tube is good because when you spit it out, it drops away from your face and may be easier to adjust top tube for some. Suggest spitting out snorkel when diving. May want to practice spitting out snorkel when going under to get a closer look at things and see how you like it compared to keeping the snorkel in your mouth if diving down.

Most masks have soft feathered silicon where it seals around the face. I go to several dive shops and try on masks. Gently press on face. If it forms a suction it may fit. Test in pool in case have to return. Compare masks that fit for field of view - look up and down and peripheral vision as well as optical clarity. I use SEADIVE TruVU RayBlocker.Visually Enhanced Mask

I like rubber fins. Plastic fins are lighter and may be easier to pack. I use Apollo Bio fin Uni for snorkeling and Picasso Carbon for freediving. I also use neoprene socks with my fins. Many like a thin bootie with fins for walking over rocks and protecting feet.

My gear is pretty specialized for the rugged and unpredictable Northern California coast. So may be a little costly. But I snorkel/freedive a couple of times a week if no storms.

Snorkeling sets may work if the mask fits well. Check stores Walmart, Leisurepro, SCUBAToys, Costco, SAMS, etc.

As with any gear, comfort is most important since you may enjoy spending more time in the water. SO it is whatever works best and is most comfortable for you, not me or anyone else.

The best bet for a new snorkeler may be a semi-dry snorkel. I think the die hard "get a simple J-tube" is not good advice. It is not fun swallowing saltwater. The term "gimmick" may be incorrectly used by some since all major manufactures have for years marketed snorkel lines with top divertor and lower J-tube purge valve/divertor. Wiki "gimmick" for correct usage.

Per your suggestion:

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

Appears to be appropriate usuage in this case. :wink:

Per your suggestion:

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

Appears to be appropriate usage in this case. :wink:

I was not referring to your post since I did not quote it. I just happened to post after your post. Maybe I should have directed my response to the OP better.

Whenever the discussion of snorkels comes up with SCUBA divers and freedivers, there are those that have been snorkeling since 4-5 years old that say use a simple J-tube because that is all we had back then. There are also those that may toss around the term "gimmick" quite a bit. I also see this with discussions on mask purge valves.

As with any piece of equipment, it is what works best and is most comfortable for the user, so they can spend an enjoyable time on the water.

Best Wishes!
Charles

I'm a female newbie going to Belize. Any suggestions for a mask and snorkel for myself? There are so many brands. Is a flexible tube the best idea? I'll be snorkeling, not scuba diving. Thanks.

All the good snorkeling in Belize is near, or on the barrier reef. That means there'll likely be some wind chop or small waves almost all the time.
If you're an experienced snorkeler, the short J type will work. That's what I use but my buddy has an old one from the 60s or so and it's about 4 inches longer than mine. Nice....but I can't seem to find one.

As mentioned, a good choice for one not used to having to blow harder to clear the snorkel, the ones with the little membrane on the bottom are much easier to use. The downside is the little membrane usually falls off within a year or so. Or it just gets a grain of sand in it and leaks.

You can buy a good, silicon, low volume mask here in Belize for US$20 or so. No brand name but they're as good quality as most.

I use these
Tusa Platina II Hyperdry Snorkel (SP-170)

Aqua Lung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel

The Impulse 3 rocks. My friend just got one and I use a very old-school J snorkel that I love. I'm still glad I don't have to worry about any parts malfunctioning, and prefer mine. But The Impulse 3 is the best snorkel I've ever used that isn't J style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom