Need to get warmer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to go with those that advise a good quality shell suit. Over the long haul you'll spend no more on dry gear then wet. A shell suit that is properly maintained should last years longer then a wetsuit. Plus you can very the undergarments to fit your needs. In the temps your diving you won't have to spend a bunch of $$ on undies anyway.. you probably have most of them laying around the house that you'd use on the warmer day's, and you'll have to do something for the colder stuff only.
As far as self relience goes the only thing you'll need someone for is a zip.. who cares!.. way too easy.. They either help you in and out of the wetsuit or they help you zip and unzip.. it's a push at worst.

Go dry and as someone already said.. you won't regret it... ever!...

I wear a single layer of heavy polypro under it (army surplus long johns) for warm water - I've only dove cooler water once and wore 2 layers of polypro tops and bottoms, plus a wool sweater... it was plenty warm and would have worked for me down to 50* I think

Maintenance is waxing the zipper, and talc for the seals - not hard at all... I wear a regular hood (without a collar) when needed (which isn't often) and I much prefer no hood as I love listening to the sounds while diving. btw - a hooded vest would not work (at least under the ds) because it would break the neck seal and allow water in... thus a "not" dry suit :wink:

Aloha, Tim

nvert:
Thanks Tim for your pros/cons. Just what I was looking to hear.

I like to be as self-relying as possible but it sounds like someone must help you close your DS? What undergarments do you wear under the NexGen if you're diving 70-80F? What about the 50F range? What's your maintenance on the Nex-gen? Is a special DS hood required or can you just wear a regular neoprene hooded vest like you would under a wetsuit?

Davee-
The thicker vest is on the list - I already have one in fact, but it's getting exchanged since it's just too small to go over my head.

What do you guys think about a 2pc jacket/john?

thanks guys for your time in taking time in giving me advice. I do like the idea of the Nex-Gen DS shell but also, as spectrum says, like the slick feel of the wetsuit. It just seems that with the wetsuit, you need a number of different types for diving a variety of conditions. I'll probably upgrade on a wetsuit for my trip in March and save up for the dry for next fall.

I live in SWVA and the local dive shop is 1 hour drive and they don't have much in the way of most sizes and take weeks ordering any special requests. Mail order, even with a PITA return, is much simpler. Richard at Divetank is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom