Need to cheer myself up by planning dive holiday - post Xmas in Key Largo for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Mr frogoutofwater and I have had a difficult few months. After a wonderful, well-earned dive holiday in Oman after a brutal winter of work, we returned home (to Paris) in April only to learn that my mother was very ill. After a knuckle-biting couple of weeks worth of diagnostic tests, we received the worst news possible - late stage, inoperable lung cancer. (For those of you who still dive and smoke, please quit now ...) We put our lives on hold, and started to count the hours between phone calls home to my parents' house in Vancouver. Then the news got worse. She suffered a stroke. We cancelled our dive/walking holiday in the Canaries and flew home immediately. In the circumstances, it was a wonderful (but bittersweet) 2-week visit. Back to France, back to work - and then another blow. She had another stroke, and died less than a day later.

Now we are back at home in Paris, and trying to return to normal life. Mom always loved to hear about our travels - and I feel the need to escape. I love planning holidays. Dad is coming here for a few weeks in the summer. Maybe we'll be able to spare a week from work to do our Canaries trip in the fall. But now I'm thinking about a trip to Key Largo in late December, after we spend Christmas in Toronto with my in-laws and maybe my dad if we can persuade him. We can probably persuade him to join us in Key Largo, too, for the week between Christmas and New Year's. I've found a few useful threads about diving Key Largo in the winter, but can anyone provide some specific recommendations for AOW course providers in the area? Thanks.

first of all, my condolences on the loss of your mother: I hope the healing process has begun and will continue to get a little better every day..as I'm sure you know, diving can do wonders for the soul...the first question I would ask is, do you have a preferred certifiying agency? and if so you should probably check out their website for links to local shops in the Keys that can handle your AOW.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and very often I have found peace and comfort under the water.

If there is anything I can do to help with your class down here (in Key Largo) please let me know!

Pat

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom