need to buy new car - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up my Honda Civic from it's annual check up. And as it's already 3 years old - it's time to buy next one.
I'm absolute Honda lover so I have to decide between two possible Honda new ones.
I use the car for normal driving (home - office, shopping etc). But also for diving trips - sometimes long ones (in Europe). So 3 persons must fit in, diving gear, normal luggage plus my dog (preferably in the back of the car so it's not full of his fur).
So right now in my Civic hatchbag dog sits in the boot plus some of gear (tanks mainly) and the rest is in the back seat with only one passanger on the back seat.

I have two possibilities - Honda Accord combi (gee - I'm not sure whether that's proper name in English - combi here is longer than sedan) or Honda CRV.
In absolute numbers they have the same capacity of the boot. But Accord one is longer while CRV one is higher.

Accord is much smarter car (from driving in the city point of view - remember guys I'm a woman :p), CRV is 4WD so very good to drive difficult forest roads in Mazurian Lakes where I go diving often.

So clever guys - any ideas what am I supposed to do?
Mania
I found the pictures of both

What about the new Honda Ridgeline? It's supposed to have car-like ride qualities with room for four, and it's dive gear friendly with the optional bed covers. It's basically modeled after the hybrid SUV/pickups now popular in the US for their utility.

mempilot - remember that on this side of the pond we have a bit different models than you. So they don't have this model here :(
Mania

Mania,

Oops. I thought Honda was throughing those things all over the globe. My friend likes her CRV. I looked at it and didn't think it would have enough room for all my gear though.

When I finally sell my Land Rover Discovery, I think I'll stick with a full size sport utility.

Do they sell the Land Rover Freelander over there? It's about the same size as the CRV, if not slightly bigger.

That blue one sure is a nice looking ride. How often do you really need 4WD?
The saying I have about 4WD vehicles is...they are to get you out of trouble, not into trouble.

I like the CRV. Very practical, good for dive gear, and decent gas mileage.

BTW, the word you were looking for is probably "Wagon."

Mempilot
They sell Land Rover but...it's much more expensive. And - Honda dealer takes my Civic so I don't have to worry how to sell it.
CRV is good as 4WD but my worry is the same - wheter I would be able to fit with all my gear and my crazy dog. And - I'm never going diving on my own so that means at least gear x 2.
Jon, dude :)D) - yeah, that's the word I was looking for
Mania

"Boot." "Combi." Mania, we do have to talk. :D

(Jonny is right... it's "station wagon" for us Americans. And I think the Brits call it an "estate car," or something like that. Eh, guys?)

--Marek

Mania,

Aren't you lugging doubles and stages around? I can't remember from our previous threads. Even my Rover with two sets of doubles, four stages, and all the other gear, sags just ever so slightly in the arse end. It has a tow capacity of over 7000lbs, and even the new Honda Ridgeline only has a 5000lb tow capacity. I'm guessing a CRV is problably down around 3000 to 4000lbs, meaning the rear suspension may not be up to the task of hauling around two sets of tech gear, if you can get it in there.

Just a thought.

Could you order the Honda pick-up truck from an American dealer and have it shipped to you? That would seem like the best solution you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom